BlueCruise 1.2 update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wayfun

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2023 Platinum unit. It is used with 6000 miles on it. I'm on my way home with it and have stopped for the night. I was anxious to the the Bluecruise but so far I find it pretty useless. Every couple of hundred yards it's telling me to put my hands on the wheel even when they were. It tells me to take over or just shuts down. I understand version 1.2 is supposed to improve things. Has anyone received the update and if so, how do you get it? Is it over the air? I sure hope it is soon because that was one of the major features I bought the unit for.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn't sense your hands on the bottom half of the steering wheel, but other than that it works fine for me.
When it goes 'hands free' it's great — I've become very spoiled being able to use that on the freeway.

SunnySunshine

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That really sounds bad. I can't believe they increased the price to $800 years for that when SuperCruise is so much better (and is $250 a year). Wish the GM vehicle interiors were better designed though.

OP
OP
W

Wayfun

Reaction score
Thanks to the comments here I’ve figured out how to set it. Wow, what a game changer. Today I drove one section of about 60 miles with the cruise set at 83 and never touched the wheel or throttle other than to change lanes. It varied the speed between 42 and 83 depending on what was in front of me. I’m ready for the update.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It varied the speed between 42 and 83 depending on what was in front of me.
it will slow down to a crawl if traffic becomes congested, and come to a stop and then resume in stop-and-go traffic, which makes driving in that kind of annoying traffic effortless.

blznweels

Reaction score
Hands Free BlueCruise will only work 80mph and under, ONLY on major Interstates, major freeways, major state highways. There is an interactive map on this page to show which ones qualify:

When in BlueCruise, if the front camera can't see lane lines (shadows, paint fading etc), the lane becomes wider to merge/split, the radius of the highway is too tight, if your eyes are not on the road, or your eyes obscured from the 2 driver facing cameras, it will drop back to Lane Assisted cruise control. The Dash changes from all blue, to the regular dash with a big symbol on the left of a steering wheel with 2 hands on it. That's when you know you're not in hands free mode.

When you are in lane assist, it's is supposed to be assisting you (not for you), and will get angry and shut off if you don't have your hand(s) on the wheel. It needs some amount of pressure fighting against the steering, in order to sense that your hand is there. Like the weight of your hand on the side.

Personally I think the amount of pressure required to sense your hand is too great. I wind up fighting more and exerting against the steering wheel to give it the feedback it's looking for, then if i was just steering myself. I will either turn it off, or let it steer and jiggle the steering wheel every 20 seconds or so to keep it happy. Again this is only is Lane Assist, not handsfree Blue Cruise.

OP
OP
W

Wayfun

Reaction score
Hands Free BlueCruise will only work 80mph and under, ONLY on major Interstates, major freeways, major state highways. There is an interactive map on this page to show which ones qualify:

When in BlueCruise, if the front camera can't see lane lines (shadows, paint fading etc), the lane becomes wider to merge/split, the radius of the highway is too tight, if your eyes are not on the road, or your eyes obscured from the 2 driver facing cameras, it will drop back to Lane Assisted cruise control. The Dash changes from all blue, to the regular dash with a big symbol on the left of a steering wheel with 2 hands on it. That's when you know you're not in hands free mode.

When you are in lane assist, it's is supposed to be assisting you (not for you), and will get angry and shut off if you don't have your hand(s) on the wheel. It needs some amount of pressure fighting against the steering, in order to sense that your hand is there. Like the weight of your hand on the side.

Personally I think the amount of pressure required to sense your hand is too great. I wind up fighting more and exerting against the steering wheel to give it the feedback it's looking for, then if i was just steering myself. I will either turn it off, or let it steer and jiggle the steering wheel every 20 seconds or so to keep it happy. Again this is only is Lane Assist, not handsfree Blue Cruise.
Thanks for that info. While I had the cruise set at 83 and I thought it controlled at that speed, that may have been while I still had my hands on the wheel. With the traffic, there were very few times it actually accelerated past 75. I can live with 80.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It needs some amount of pressure fighting against the steering, in order to sense that your hand is there. Like the weight of your hand on the side.
I had thought it was some kind of capacitive touch sensing (I was impressed that they could do that through leather...), but you're right. I did 8+ hours of driving today and when BlueCruise was in Lane Assist mode I mostly kept my left hand down at the bottom of the wheel at 6:00, and like you said when it would complain I would just give it a little nudge and it was happy.

Also discovered that BlueCruise disables Hands Free mode when you have a trailer hooked up — just stays in Lane Assist when active.

jb22EXP

Reaction score
Has anyone received a timeline for 1.2 to the expedition? I use BC all the time but the updated is much needed.