Bluetooth Audio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Outside of replacing the stock head unit, what are good, affordable options to enable audio streaming via Bluetooth in our trucks? I don't want to use an FM transmitter.

CaptainKrunch

Reaction score
For my 2003 with the rear entertainment. I used a $15 or so bluetooth receiver. If I remember correctly, the bluetooth receiver has a headphone type jack output and I used that with an adapter to rca plugs and the rca plugs went into the input of the rear entertainment . I had to play with switches and modes on my radio to get it to work but it did work. It was enough of a pain in the butt that I installed a pioneer 2330 dvd player stereo touch screen a few years ago. The screen has a little touch lag and there is a little bugginess at times but I really like it.

I use the steering wheel controls with it. And I can do bluetooth audio on my phone to the radio or take and make calls through the radio. if I use the usb cord then it hooks my phone up to the radio via the cord and that engages android auto or if you have an iphone it does carplay. That works nicely also and you can use the touchscreen radio to choose spotify, pandora, podcasts, google maps, waze, weather, and some other stuff I don't recall. I really wished I had put the radio in earlier. It plays movies as well and looking back I am not sure why I got that feature because I never play dvds on it. I think it was good price on sale or something.

Also it came with a rear backup camera and installed a front bumper camera later on. The backup camera comes on when you put it in reverse and the front camera is chosen on the screen. Sometimes I can't tell how close I am to the car in front of me and this is a nice feature.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you wish to retain factory radio and have RSE using a bluetooth headphones e adapter mentioned above is the easiest option, also least expensive.

If you want an integrated solution than can also do hands free calling iSimple makes a product called the TranzitBlu that will have a dedicated call button you can mount anywhere in the driver area. It's smaller than a postage stamp. The module itself will install in the dash area, 4 screws remove the radio and bezel around the cluster. There is space below the radio behind HVAC for all wiring to fit fine. In addition to the Tranzit you would need a normal and a reverse antenna adapter to integrate w the factory system. It still operates via FM but instead of a low power broadcast like the cheapest do its injected right into the antenna through the connection you make w the adapters. Audio quality is about as good as it gets without replacing the radio. There are no permanent modifications made w this so easy removal and only requires basic tools.

OP
OP
G

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For my 2003 with the rear entertainment. I used a $15 or so bluetooth receiver. If I remember correctly, the bluetooth receiver has a headphone type jack output and I used that with an adapter to rca plugs and the rca plugs went into the input of the rear entertainment . I had to play with switches and modes on my radio to get it to work but it did work. It was enough of a pain in the butt that I installed a pioneer 2330 dvd player stereo touch screen a few years ago. The screen has a little touch lag and there is a little bugginess at times but I really like it.

I use the steering wheel controls with it. And I can do bluetooth audio on my phone to the radio or take and make calls through the radio. if I use the usb cord then it hooks my phone up to the radio via the cord and that engages android auto or if you have an iphone it does carplay. That works nicely also and you can use the touchscreen radio to choose spotify, pandora, podcasts, google maps, waze, weather, and some other stuff I don't recall. I really wished I had put the radio in earlier. It plays movies as well and looking back I am not sure why I got that feature because I never play dvds on it. I think it was good price on sale or something.

Also it came with a rear backup camera and installed a front bumper camera later on. The backup camera comes on when you put it in reverse and the front camera is chosen on the screen. Sometimes I can't tell how close I am to the car in front of me and this is a nice feature.

How did you power the Bluetooth receiver or did it run off of a battery?

OP
OP
G

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, so I found a $14 Bluetooth 5.0 receiver/transmitter that I plugged into the DVD overhead unit's RCA unit and powered it via the 2nd row cigarette lighter output. This unit has amazingly clear output and nix pickup for hands free calls. That's all I needed. With the charger, 10ft USB to micro USB cable and the 3.5mm to RCA cable I paid $34 shipped for everything. Thanks for the help

LoneStarLoner

Reaction score
I purchased a pioneer mvh-x380bt media receiver. Has radio, Bluetooth, siri eyes free and a bunch of other features. Bought the steering wheel control adapter and it all works great. Actually improved the sound of the speakers. I’m not mechanically inclined, especially when it comes to electronics so I had a friend install for me but it really modernized my Expy.

Donald Bell

Reaction score
Wish I would've known about something like this before I spent $450 for a SonydSony din touch screen Bluetooth wireless radio and another $189 for installation and the couldn't even get the DVD player to play through the speakers after installing!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wish I would've known about something like this before I spent $450 for a SonydSony din touch screen Bluetooth wireless radio and another $189 for installation and the couldn't even get the DVD player to play through the speakers after installing!

Yikes

That sounds bad.

And since it's a name brand, I'm guessing no android, no torque pro OBD readouts, no dashcam, no backup camera, etc?

Donald Bell

Reaction score
Yikes

That sounds bad.

And since it's a name brand, I'm guessing no android, no torque pro OBD readouts, no dashcam, no backup camera, etc?

No I have all of that. Back up cam installed and viewable through touch screen radio, Bluetooth connectivity w/ability to talk hands free on phone, play music from phone through radio via Bluetooth connection, Navigation and Android Auto enable upon start up of truck, auto connection of Galaxy Note 8 to radio as soon as truck is started! Lol said I paid $1,256.89 for all of this to be done. That's why I said I wish I'd know about this option just to save money not because I hate the set up, I LOVE THE SET UP LOL. It's like have modern vehicle and I have the same capabilities in my 2004 that my wife has in her 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan GT and that fully loaded!