Brake Controller Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a $60ish dollar trailer brake controller in my 2020 Max. Activated the module with Forscan. Then my battery started dying. Since it was less than a week since I bought the car, I brought it to the dealer (used car) from which I bought it. I figured the battery was suspect, but they said the brake controller module was drawing current and disconnected it. They were about to send it to a Ford dealer to get it repaired for me, but I told them that I was the one who installed it, so it wasn’t their problem.

Ordered a genuine Ford brake controller and installed it today. It felt noticeably different than the knockoff. Knockoff would click when you squeezed the manual lever all the way, whereas the Ford did not. I’m still a little leery about the battery drain, but I think it will be fine. Tomorrow will tell when I test the battery.

Is there any other way to test for a parasitic drain? I’m not sure how to let all the modules go to sleep but not set off the alarm? It seems to have perimeter sensors.

OP
OP
zak99b5

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. "Plugged" into the back of the coin holder that lives where the brake controller goes. Mine also is a 2020 Limited. I had to enable the module with Forscan.

simoatze

Reaction score
I am about to do this in my 2021 Expedition MAX Platinum. All the wiring is there so I just bought the trailer break controller which came with a fuse but it was already in my fuse box so I don't think I will need it. I am a little hesitant because I ordered the part with number #JL3Z-19H332-AA, the box says that exact number but the trailer break controller itself has number #JL34-2C006-AC3JA6. Is that the right part? I read on the web that the first number is the kit (which includes trailer break controller and fuse) while the second number is the switch itself. I keep reading mixed review and experience on the web. Do you guys have any experience about it?