Brake lights malfunction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M_M_

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

All of the sudden my main brake lights in 2013 xlt do not work, except for the one on top of the tailgate. I checked the bulbs and they are ok. Looked for the fuses in the manual, but it does not state which fuse is for the brake lights. If it is the fuse, are there two separate fuses for the top one the main ones?
Can anyone suggest where to look or what the problem might be?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

All of the sudden my main break lights in 2013 xlt do not work, except for the one on top of the tailgate. I checked the bulbs and they are ok. Looked for the fuses in the manual, but it does not state which fuse is for the break lights. If it is the fuse, are there two separate fuses for the top one the main ones?
Can anyone suggest where to look or what the problem might be?

Thank you in advance!

So yes and no - there are 2 brake light switches with multiple circuits - cruise cancel, high mount brake, brake lights, and brake pedal position/pressure switch. I think the lights are on 1 switch and the cruise and position/pressure are on another (i maybe be wrong and it only be one). But my fuses (2017 xlt el) are in the interior panel. I’ll look this week when i get a chance as to what one they are exactly but I believe they were full time 12v power since it’s going to the switch and the brake lights work without the key.

BUT BEFORE YOU GO CHASING WIRES - make sure it’s not a shared ground, do your running lights work? And if they do, do they go out when you press the brakes or turn a turn signal on? If they do turn off it’s a bad ground. If they don’t come on it could also be a bad ground

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CubSmurf

Reaction score
It's also worth checking out your bulbs. When I switched out my bulbs to LEDS in my 2017, there was signs of heat damage from the incandescent bulbs. Worth a look if you can't find anything else obvious.

EDIT: My rear bulbs

OP
OP
M

M_M_

Reaction score
So yes and no - there are 2 brake light switches with multiple circuits - cruise cancel, high mount brake, brake lights, and brake pedal position/pressure switch. I think the lights are on 1 switch and the cruise and position/pressure are on another (i maybe be wrong and it only be one). But my fuses (2017 xlt el) are in the interior panel. I’ll look this week when i get a chance as to what one they are exactly but I believe they were full time 12v power since it’s going to the switch and the brake lights work without the key.

BUT BEFORE YOU GO CHASING WIRES - make sure it’s not a shared ground, do your running lights work? And if they do, do they go out when you press the brakes or turn a turn signal on? If they do turn off it’s a bad ground. If they don’t come on it could also be a bad ground

Thank you Anthony, I appreciate your help and suggestions! Shared ground is most likely not the culprit here as the running lights work fine no matter what I do to the brakes. I find it odd that the manual does not list the fuse for the brakes neither on the main circuit, under the hood or the auxiliary inside. There is one marked for the trailer circuit however, but that one is fine.

If you find the time to identify the fuse, it would be really helpful.
Thank you again!

OP
OP
M

M_M_

Reaction score
It's also worth checking out your bulbs. When I switched out my bulbs to LEDS in my 2017, there was signs of heat damage from the incandescent bulbs. Worth a look if you can't find anything else obvious.

EDIT: My rear bulbs

Thank you! That was the first thing I checked, although I thought it was strange they would burn out at the same time. Both were fine

CowboyPilot79

Reaction score
You ever track anything down on this? My 2015 only illuminates the 3rd brake light but the fuses are good, bulbs are good, hazards and blinkers work fine. I even tried putting in a new wiper/turn signal switch. No change.