Brake lights not working 2016 Expy Limited with Tow Pkg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expy2016tx

Reaction score
The left and right brake lights are not working, but the center brake light does work. The bulbs have been replaced and tested and both filaments in each bulb work. My meter reads a constant 8.6vdc across the terminals on the sockets whether the brake pedal is pressed or not. The center brake light reads 12.4vdc only when the pedal is pressed. I pulled and tested the 3 fuses (13, 14 and 15) related to stop lights. They all checked out and I am reading 12,4vdc at the fuse box. A wiring diagram would be greatly appreciated. Is it a single feed to the brake controlller from the switch which then energizes the 3 circuits for the brake lights? Any way to test/repair the brake controller or is something you just replace?

shoro60

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me. You should check your brake sensor below the dash on the metal lever for the brake pedal. It is super easy to replace and not expensive.

OP
OP
E

expy2016tx

Reaction score
I replaced the brake light switch and still only get the center brake light. The side brake lights don't light up when pressing the brake pedal.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do your rear emergency flashers and turn signals work ? I attached the exterior lamp circuit diagram if you need that.

Attachments

• Exterior Lamp Circuit Gen3 Expy.pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
E

expy2016tx

Reaction score
Thank you for the diagram. The turn signals and emergency flashers work. OBDII is not reading any codes. I do have fordscan if there is anything to chase or look at there.

After looking at the diagram. The circuits from the Smart Junction Box must be working or the turn signals and flashers would not work. The controls that energize the circuits in the Smart Junction Box must not be getting the signal or the SJB is bad. Do you have the circuit diagram that includes the pedal sensor?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you look at the lower right corner of the second page you see the third eye brake light. Follow the yellow wire back up the page and it leads to the brake pedal switch. I don't have anything more exotic than that.

OP
OP
E

expy2016tx

Reaction score
Thank you Hamfisted. The center mount is fed directly off the switch. The yellow green also then connects to the BCM 40 and PCM 13.
b

OP
OP
E

expy2016tx

Reaction score
The Body Control Module (BCM) was the culprit. Replaced the BCM and the side brake lights are working again. BCM contains the VSM so all keys (PATS) need to be reprogrammed and the door keypad code changes (code is hard set in VSM from factory.)

Please note: You can't do anything with vehicle after replacing BCM until the module and keys are programmed.