Brake lights stopped working.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

conner5255

Reaction score
2016 EL Fleet.
Turn signals, flashers, tail/marker and 3rd are working fine. Looked at all fuses, all ok, replaced brake light switch, replaced bulbs. Tested for ground, all good.
Power to bulb for turn signal but not brake lights.
I do have Forscan available, but I am not sure where else to go.
Anyone have experience with this? Or any ideas?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2016 EL Fleet.
Turn signals, flashers, tail/marker and 3rd are working fine. Looked at all fuses, all ok, replaced brake light switch, replaced bulbs. Tested for ground, all good.
Power to bulb for turn signal but not brake lights.
I do have Forscan available, but I am not sure where else to go.
Anyone have experience with this? Or any ideas?

Did you use a Motorcraft switch?

Most brake light switches require that they be “set” when being installed. You hold the pedal back while installing the switch, then push it forward with your hand (engine off), then pull back.

Did you do this adjustment?

Did you manually use your finger to push the switch plunger in while a helper watched the brake lights (as a test of the switch and circuit)?

OP
OP
C

conner5255

Reaction score
With the way the switch is installed not sure that I would be able to do this with the vehicle off.
I will take another look to see.
Also, the switch is activated as you push the brake, the plunger on the switch extends to cause the connection.

OP
OP
C

conner5255

Reaction score
Also, I watched a couple YouTube videos and consulted a tech manual and none described "setting" the switch. All said basically plug and play.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your third brake light is working, the brake switch is working. Do you have brake lights at the trailer plug ? They share the same brake light circuit. Grey/Brown wire for left, and violet/ orange for right side. If not, it could be the circuit in the fusebox itself...

eej013018.png

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had a similar issue in my 07, there was a wire on the passenger side that ran down the floor to the back that had to be fixed. YouTube it, not hard to get to just make sure you tape it up real good so it doesn't happen again.