Brake pads for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poppa Wheelie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aren't surge brakes different than regular electric trailer brakes? I thought surge brakes are for if your trailer somehow becomes un-hitched. To run true trailer brakes, you need a 7 pin hookup with a brake controller. Which I have and use for my toy hauler. I would not tow it without the trailer brakes.
Also, downshifting can really help if done within reason. Especially on long downhills. I have gone down some long mountain passes with 2nd gear holding me back all the way down.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surge brakes are activated by a sliding coupler. When you hit the brakes the trailer's momentum will move the coupler forward activating the trailer brakes. The harder you stop, the more the trailer brakes activate. Most boat trailers have surge brakes, at least for heavier boats.

Do not get cross-drilled brakes for towing purposes. The are meant for performance driving and not everyday use. All the holes will do is cause hairline cracks in the rotor if used for daily driving.

Last edited:

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Surge brakes are activated by a sliding coupler. When you hit the brakes the trailer's momentum will move the coupler forward activating the trailer brakes. The harder you stop, the more the trailer brakes activate. Most boat trailers have surge brakes, at least for heavier boats.

Do not get cross-drilled brakes for towing purposes. The are meant for performance driving and not everyday use. All the holes will do is cause hairline cracks in the rotor if used for daily driving.

I've driven on cross-drilled rotors for towing and daily driving ..never had cracks ever... I think the cracks are on cheaper cross-drilled rotors. You get what you pay for.

Poppa Wheelie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be thinking of the ones that have that cable that hooks with the safety chain. If the trailer breaks loose, it yanks that cable and activates the brakes. My bad. ;)
Also, as far as drilled rotors go, it's how they're manufactured that makes the difference in durability. If the rotors are cast with holes, they should stand up better to abuse. If they are solid rotors with holes drilled in them, they will develop stress risers around the holes. Unless the holes are chamfered, then the stress forces tend to go around the holes, and stay in the meat of the metal.

Last edited:

bobthegod

Reaction score
Your Expi is not made to tow without the trailer having brakes. Stock brakes can only handle up to 1000 lbs of extra towing weight. Most states have laws concerning towed vehicle and brake requirments. I assume your in Riverside, California (Im in Calif also) and we have a law that says anything over 1000 lbs MUST HAVE brakes. So look into surge brakes as most boat trailers use those and they perform very well. Most other camping trailers have electric. Boats aren't good with electric since the when back into water....smash, boom, bang....electric shorts out.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I remember years ago when I towed. There is a specific weight for a trailer, and above a certain weight brakes are required. Either surge or electric. Look into it,.

federal law states any single axel weighing more than 2999 lbs must have trailer brakes/ any tandem axel trailer must have at least 1 axel with brakes and any tridem axel trailer must have atleast 2 axels with brakes 4 axels or more all axels must have brakes

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i bought best HAWK pads out all around....and yes"...there better then stock when you really get on them.

id get BEST pads out there and change them EVERY season u run that boat on the back of that truck.

i carried 15 bags of cement at 80lbs each.....i felt that on brakes. if your not getting trailer brakes....just look ahead and be carefull....big difference w/boat.

lol..:D.i towed a 17 foot bowrider (90 regal inboard/outboard) with a 89 iroc z.....took it well. orlando to miami.....i did brakes 2 times on that car in 1 yr 2b safe.

(((hiya "stoned06" ))))....u ever get rear lifted on your truck....was curious. i asked u this b4.....always love that pic

Last edited:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
(((hiya "stoned06" ))))....u ever get rear lifted on your truck....was curious. i asked u this b4.....always love that pic

Never "lifted" the rear, but I moved the trailer axles forward 9 inches, and the boat back about 3 inches. Found out I was WAAAY heavy on the tongue (850 lbs). Should be around 600 now, but the shop hasn't re-weighed it yet. Doesn't matter, I can't move the axles any further forward due to the swivel bunk location.....they are BARELY missing the front axle of the trailer.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yea....now that im analizing pic....the boat does look to far forward.

good idea moving axles...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
badbolr