Brake upgrade - towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephanSloan

Reaction score
I used the Hawk pads and was pleased but didn't see the benefit of what was 1.5-2x price of Power Stop. We use the Expedition for pulling a horse trailer so I like a lot of meat on the brake pads and change them more frequently than required.
Stephan

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Power Stop Z36 pads look pretty good, but I have no first hand knowledge. For Fronts, they're $55, the Hawks are $82.
I'm all for trying something new, but if I don't like them I have to pay for another set of pads. I have to change my Hawks every 2 years or so.

OP
OP
M

mjayn

Reaction score
Ok, Thanks to Hawk for helping me get rid of the pulsating brakes. But I still had nearly warn out pads. So I have to get a new set of pads and one of the rotors is pretty gouged out. Maybe its salvageable, but if needed I would like to upgrade the rotors.

Looks like the Power stop z36 and the Hawk Performance HB579Y.785 LTS Brake Pad are the way to go.

Now I need a rotor. I looked at a few suggestions and the Centric plain rotors has a few option, not sure what/which to do?

All I am looking for is a small upgrade from stock for not too much money. Not trying to save every penny, just want a decent upgrade, for a decent price.

So if anyone has suggestions on rotors exact model, Centric or another brand it would be appreciated.

Also those are the correct pads? I am just doing the fronts to start.

I only tow a small fishing boat about 2000 hwy miles a year with a hundred or so miles on logging roads. So towing may not even be a serious factor.

thanks

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jan 15th I'll be installed the full power stop z36 front and rear kit and my new tires.

Once done I'll give a review and ad pictures of the install.

OP
OP
M

mjayn

Reaction score
Where are you purchasing if you don't mind me asking. I am still lost on what rotors to get. The Centric Plain on amazon has only one in stock. Everywhere else I look has 5 or 6 kinds of rotors with long model numbers that I don't know what they mean. I would have to get the wrong one.

The z36 front kit looks perfect for me, except I didn't really want drilled and/or slotted rotors due to my mech saying he can't turn them.

I am still leaning toward the Hawk pads and Centric rotors as members here have had success, just want to make sure I get the correct rotors.

OP
OP
M

mjayn

Reaction score
What does the number after the K mean?

Power Stop K2163-36 Z36 Truck & Tow Front Brake Kit

Power Stop K2009-36 Z36 Truck & Tow Front Brake Kit

Power Stop K3167-36 Z36 Truck & Tow Front Brake Kit

I must be using bad terminology because I am trouble finding an explanation of what these numbers represent.

Last edited:

Blksmk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure I think the k is referring to kit. Instead of 1 part it comes as a pair??
I ordered mine thru my own performance shop. So i got cost. All said i paid 1300 cdn for full front/rear kit and 860 for 4 tires

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
I just did the pads on mine. Front and rear.

We just bought ours last month - haven’t even made our first payment yet. We traded in our 2006 Yukon XL with 240k miles on it. And we used it to pull a little 25’ hybrid camper.

When we got the Yukon, I upgraded the brakes right away. We took it on a trip through Colorado, and the brakes were strained just moving the truck down the mountain, no camper included. So I upgraded the rotors, the calipers, and the pads to a slotted and drilled Power Stop kit from a 2007 Yukon. They went from a 12 inch rotor to a 13, and the caliper was much larger accordingly. The Yukon stopped great after that.

When I went to change the brakes on the Expy, it knocked me over. Damn rotor looks three feet across and a foot thick comparatively. Pads as big as my hand, and a dual piston caliper to boot. Made the upgraded kit on the Yukon look like my son’s legos.

My point? I think you’re overthinking this. OEM rotors are quite stout, and anything that has that much mass is going to do a great job of stopping your rig when paired with a quality pad.

Go with whatever brand you can get at a good price, and don’t sweat it.

https://www.amazon.com/2010-expedit...------","vehicleName":"2010+Ford+Expedition"}

mygsris2slo4u

Reaction score
I recently purchased the powerstop z36 kit K5577-36 kit for my 2017 on Amazon for $379 including tax. It looks like this is the correct kit for a 2010 as well.

I installed two days ago and have been impressed over the first hundred miles or so. They definitely stop shorter than the factory brakes. I'm not sure how resistant to fade they are as I have not towed with them or had to drive on any significant grades. We will see how long they last though I'd expect shorter life due to the pad material and the slotted/drilled rotors.