Broke the hinge, need a replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Some idiot dropped something big and steel in the passing lane last week. It was like a 4x4. I saw it too late and hit it causing it to flip up and take out my rear running board hinge. Of course my whole system worked perfectly before this. I removed the whole set up for now so it isn't hanging by one hinge. Replacements seem to run crazy money, but if you buy one with the motor it's around $140.
I've seen conflicting info on EL versus SWB hinges. I know mine has the long rod connecting the motor to the rear hinge, but is there any reason I can't buy the one with the motor and remove it? It seems like it should bolt up ok.
Also, is there a place to buy just the rear driver side hinge cheaper without the motor? I haven't been able to find one.
Thanks for any help.

17 EL Platinum 4x4

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Some idiot dropped something big and steel in the passing lane last week. It was like a 4x4. I saw it too late and hit it causing it to flip up and take out my rear running board hinge. Of course my whole system worked perfectly before this. I removed the whole set up for now so it isn't hanging by one hinge. Replacements seem to run crazy money, but if you buy one with the motor it's around $140.
I've seen conflicting info on EL versus SWB hinges. I know mine has the long rod connecting the motor to the rear hinge, but is there any reason I can't buy the one with the motor and remove it? It seems like it should bolt up ok.
Also, is there a place to buy just the rear driver side hinge cheaper without the motor? I haven't been able to find one.
Thanks for any help.

17 EL Platinum 4x4

Your comprehensive motor vehicle insurance coverage may cover the damage repair.

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
Your comprehensive motor vehicle insurance coverage may cover the damage repair.
Thanks. I'm sure it would, but the deductible and/or the premium increases for claims don't make it worth it to me for a $100+/- part.

Tuck

Reaction score
If you are looking for just the hinge on the cheap then check any local grab and go junkyards you may have in the area. If they have an expedition that's close to yours you can go pull the old one off for pennies on the dollar.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm sure it would, but the deductible and/or the premium increases for claims don't make it worth it to me for a $100+/- part.

I can’t speak for your insurance company, but comprehensive claims do not increase the policy premium (unless there are numerous suspicious ones such as multiple broken windshield all fixed at the same shop which may indicate the windshield was not broken or replaced each time).

Jesus Rivera2

Reaction score
Hello, I have the 2012 King Ranch EL expedition and had the same issue, I hit some debris on the road and the hinge broke. I took it the collision center and they are charging 2800 for replacement, I told them that I only need the hinge, everything else was working well. They told me that they only replace the whole thing…. Contacted the insurance and they also gave a speech of not to use the insurance for that. Any thoughts or recommendations will be greatly appreciate. Thanks

OP
OP
HawkX66

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I'm going to modify one of the $130 a/m motor and hinge set ups. Remove the motor etc.
What they're pulling not having a reasonable cost hinge available is pretty shady. I'm in the market for a new truck. $85k for a 2022 F350 and I just heard they're increasing the price. All these things tell me that brand loyalty is turning consumers into suckers. I've about had it with Ford.