Rear glass replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Tried posting about this yesterday and ended up in the third Gen forum on another thread.

Anybody have issues getting the rear glass replaced? Assuming all fourth gens have the same basic form with different glass color etc. Mine didn't fit, but I can't tell if it is the part or there must be adjustments that aren't obvious. It also could be a bend somewhere.

I ran the back into a half open garage. I think the spoiler hit the garage door hinge and then the glass shattered.

Spoiler looks to be cosmetic, it does have a mild slump down when compared to the roof line forward from the door. Not sure if all Expeditions have this slump?
PXL_20231112_151245060.MP.jpg

The spoiler attaches to the window hinge and then rides on the same mount the window rides on with just additional wire loom that powers the rear center light.
lt hinge:
PXL_20231112_144236418.MP.jpg
rt hinge PXL_20231112_144231391.MP.jpg

The door hinges share the same mount. As the glass hinges. The door seems aligned and unchanged. The glass sits too high to hit the latch on the bottom. Appears to be about .25-.5 inches higher than it should.
PXL_20231112_151255447.MP.jpg

Glass guy was stumped. I think the metal hinges attached to the window may be bent to fit? Feels sketch cause if the glass being involved. Maybe they weren't glued or put on to spec. Could be a tweak in the hinge but I assume the door would be affected. Any thoughts are appreciated. Yes it is dirty, thanks.

Last edited:

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t see how you can adjust the glass and those hinges don’t look like they could be bent, are you sure it’s the correct glass for your model of expedition? Window heights/sizes have changed over the years, I think you have the wrong glass.. sorry.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's really strange, I wouldn't think there would be different rear glass sizes for the same MY, Ford generally tries not to make too many changes as it increases costs and maintenance associated with having different designs. My only thought though is the same as the previous poster, is whomever you got the glass from, did they run the VIN to ensure its the right part? Sorry to hear about that rear glass though, I'm sure that wasn't cheap...

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
That's really strange, I wouldn't think there would be different rear glass sizes for the same MY, Ford generally tries not to make too many changes as it increases costs and maintenance associated with having different designs. My only thought though is the same as the previous poster, is whomever you got the glass from, did they run the VIN to ensure its the right part? Sorry to hear about that rear glass though, I'm sure that wasn't cheap...
Thanks guys. 800$ part. I am checking with the glass guy and tracking down the part number. The stickers don't match what Ford Parts says but not sure if it is due to a manufacturer difference.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Called parts and they can't look at anything but the Ford Parts number. So far, when I Google or look them both up they match many listings on eBay and Amazon as both numbers displaying for my model year. Not sure where to go with this one. I guess we will see what the body shop says.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you take a tape measure and measure the height of the glass from top to bottom inside and out (from WANG down). I'll measure mine for you. Is there possibly a difference between the Navi and Expo? I just have a hard time believing they would have different size glass between these.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Ok,
So body shop called it a bad part. The mounts are about .5 in too high. They are glued incorrectly with no way to adjust. So... Back to the glass shop tomorrow. Going to replace with OEM. Fighting with insurance to get the OEM replacement. No body damage identified. Will let you all know what happens tomorrow!

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Ok, so new aftermarket part works. Had OEM available but it would be another 300 dollars. So XYG is the original brand that didn't fit. Double check the brand if you get yours replaced. Sure it was just a bad batch. What a PITA...