Brown Wire Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as for hydroplaning, you can do that just as easily in AWD as you can in 2wd. just depends on your speed. i agree smooth, AWD is good to have but not very necessary. we dont really get a whole lot of rain here so i dont need it. im used to midwest weather so a little rain here and there doesnt really bother me...heheh

as for pulling the fuse, not yet. i will be doing that very soon though and i will let you know what i come up with.

trippn01

Reaction score
ok...well i pulled the fuse,and yes,it does disengage the awd....but also the 4hi and 4lo...so today i am gonna try to pull the wire....hopefully all goes well...lol...and where in the midwest were you from?...im in toledo,oh. right on the mich. border...so a lil rain,snow,sleet,hail...hell even flooding and tornadoes im used to...lol

Last edited:

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
im originally from michigan. about 45 mins north of grand rapids. i figured pulling the fuse would disable all of it. i will have to try and track this brown wire down and see what i can come up with.

trippn01

Reaction score
lol...grand rapids,not to far from me at all.....as far as this "brown wire",i dont seem to have one...i got 4 wires coming off the switch...from left to right they are "light bue with red stripe-blue-dark blue-and black.....so any ideas anyone?

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
let me talk to one of my buddies who is an electrical god when it comes to expys. ill see what he says.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so this is what my contact had to say, and trust me, he is VERY REALIABLE...

"With how the transfer case is on our trucks, you can cut that wire, but it is still going to leave it in AWD. The transfer case is set up to be on 5% of the time with now power applied. So, you will just not feel the transfer case engage when you have slippage. More of a hassle than it is worth in my book. But, it is up to you."

trippn01

Reaction score
something i was tossing around was wiring a 30amp toggle switch into the fuse....that would still kill the awd,but allow me to turn it back on with the switch.....idk..just a thought.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have thought about doing the same but i dont think it will completely disable the AWD will it? and if it does, you are disabling your 4wd as well. but then again, its on a toggle so shouldnt matter right? i think it could work.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well if its just a simple fuse and if it works. try it on dirt from a dead stop and poeple around to see, then if u ever need 4x4 put the fuse back. its a pain but itll work. or just make a toggle switch for it. that should also work. but make sure theres an inline fuse for the switch.