Cabin Filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe the unit in the back blows air around the back, and the unit in the front blows air around the front. But how does the air get into the car in the first place? Thats the spot that needs a dust stopper.
You would need a lot of dust stoppers. Did you notice how 8 people on a long trip never die from lack of oxygen?

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
OK, so nobody knows how the air gets from the outside to the inside of the car. If we could solve that, maybe there would be a solution for stopping the dust. I have looked hard several times, and just can't find the air passage. I do see the dust blowing around everywhere when I am off pavement. It makes sense the air intake is from near the front blower, but that air does not smell like hot engine. I sure don't see a passage from the engine compartment, but I don't have a clue where else it could be.

Does anyone else have a clue? There have been a lot of dead-end comments....

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, so nobody knows how the air gets from the outside to the inside of the car. If we could solve that, maybe there would be a solution for stopping the dust. I have looked hard several times, and just can't find the air passage. I do see the dust blowing around everywhere when I am off pavement. It makes sense the air intake is from near the front blower, but that air does not smell like hot engine. I sure don't see a passage from the engine compartment, but I don't have a clue where else it could be.

Does anyone else have a clue? There have been a lot of dead-end comments....
Comes in through front windshield cowl grille would be my guess. That’s where cars have been getting air to the heater boxes for years.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
LaDouche, The front heater/ac enters air through the cowl vents below the wipers, unless "recirculate" is selected. In that case, it enters through a duct below the dash.

The rear heater/ac gets air from a louver inside the rear passenger compartment in the quarter panel plastic trim.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
Ok, front windshield cowl is a good idea. I forgot about that. My 1940 Chevy got its air that way. I don't know why I thought things might have changed.

As for the rear heater/ac, this has been suggested several times. I am not concerned with that air, since it is recycled inside air. The problem, and topic of the thread, is how to filter the new air coming in. Doesn't anybody else notice they Expeditions are super dusty inside after driving off the pavement? Thats my #1 beef with the Expe, cleaning out 1/4 inch of dust from everywhere, after a nice drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire