CAI or drop in air filter, worthwhile?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The OEM paper filters are designed to last for 30K mi. To accomplish this, they are more restrictive. A K&N drop in will require more maintenance, but allow more air flow. A engine is just a massive air pump. Air in, exhaust out. The increase in power or MPG is very small. My 2011 Mustang has the K&N 33-2431. The SCT tuners have a setting if you use this filter. I am pretty sure it does improves performance. A Cold Air Intake can suck in hot engine air. The PCM will retard timing and reduce power, if this happens. A CAI, will void your warranty. I read a post about removing a air silencer, on the new Expeditions.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K&N is like not having an air filter in at all. Fine dust GOES RIGHT THRU them. Trust me we ran them on ATV's and such and the inside of the intake was Nasty. Without a foam pre filter, I would never ever run one.

GC2019

Reaction score
K&N is like not having an air filter in at all. Fine dust GOES RIGHT THRU them. Trust me we ran them on ATV's and such and the inside of the intake was Nasty. Without a foam pre filter, I would never ever run one.
This...
No chance I run any of this aftermarket junk.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Number one problem with an oiled filter is USER ERROR. Poor maintenance or improper oiling. This is the filter out of a 600HP pre runner that spent a week pre running the Baja. Yes you can argue they rebuild their motors often, but this is a living and do or die for these racers. If you have never experienced the silt in Baja, it’s like baby powder. K&N would be out of business decades ago if they where as bad as people claim.

693b54c38be57763bb3655c0a9c8b780.jpg3804494a260cbbb9f2e9964297a83b4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
S&B is one of the best. One cool thing they do with the oiled filter. They give you a measured amount for the size filter you have. It helps with the user error of under or over oiling.

GC2019

Reaction score
Number one problem with an oiled filter is USER ERROR. Poor maintenance or improper oiling. This is the filter out of a 600HP pre runner that spent a week pre running the Baja. Yes you can argue they rebuild their motors often, but this is a living and do or die for these racers. If you have never experienced the silt in Baja, it’s like baby powder. K&N would be out of business decades ago if they where as bad as people claim.

693b54c38be57763bb3655c0a9c8b780.jpg3804494a260cbbb9f2e9964297a83b4f.jpg

K&N is still in business because of threads like this, and because most people don’t realize a dirty filter, filters the best. Clean it and you have zero filtering. Leaving it dirty gives filtration, but less than stock flow.
For some reason, people are wanting to trade off OEM for aftermarket thinking their Expedition this case, will now perform better. It won’t..

Hold a K&N up to the sun and look at it. Enough evidence right there.
I can only imagine what this intake manifold looks like before the filter started plugging the holes with that silt build up...

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
K&N is still in business because of threads like this, and because most people don’t realize a dirty filter, filters the best. Clean it and you have zero filtering. Leaving it dirty gives filtration, but less than stock flow.
For some reason, people are wanting to trade off OEM for aftermarket thinking their Expedition this case, will now perform better. It won’t..

I can only imagine what this intake manifold looks like before the filter started plugging the holes with that silt build up...

If you oil a cloth filter and see pin holes when you hold it up to the light you did it wrong. First check you do when oiling one.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Obviously you hate K&N and similar oiled filters BUT you are giving inaccurate info.
cleaning it does NOT give you ZERO filtration.
A clean non oiled one will give you far less filtration but a oiled one gives you better.
Most oiled filters do not filter as well as a paper element when they are freshly installed but filtration does go up as they get a little dirty which doesn't take long.

Personal preference s to how much filtration you think you need....The answer is NOT the most.
There is a give/take relationship.

Remember many vehicles (some old) and detroit diesel engines used metal foil style oiled and oil bath filters for decades and they probably do not filter quite as well as paper BUT these engines still lasted major amounts of miles--like 300-450K between rebuilds.