Calibrations Available from 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW
From my perspective today's vehicles are much less complex than the earlier mechanical engines & transmissions
Now the transmissions have solenoids controlled by the PCM to control trans line pressure, shift feel, upshifts & downshifts
Makes it much easier to modify than the old mechanical transmission valve bodies where we had to change springs, notch valves, build custom separation plates etc
Remember back in 61 when I was 16, had a 57 chevy convertible.
Built a 302 by boring a 283 .125" over
Custom ground cam, ported heads etc
Used a Mechanical Rochester fuel injection system
Sawed off the top of the plenum & ported the internal passages (61 systems did not have the removeable plenum cover they started using in 63)
Used the injector nozzles from a Pontiac with the Rochester mech injection system
Raised the fuel pressure a bunch
Contrary to the popular belief at the time used a highly modified Turboglide trans
Was fun outrunning the guys with manuals while they were trying to perform power shifts, I just put the go pedal to the floor & handily outran them consistently
Have always been kind of a maverick that way

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Trans reprogrammed along with engine
The TSB is nothing more than reprogramming
I am a retired (73years old) fuel & emissions engineer & am very familiar adaptive learning & pcm programming tables.
Just too old to invest in the programming software to make my own calibrations
I specifically asked the 5 star group to reprogram the trans to eliminate the skipped shifts but did not ask them to eliminate adaptive learning.
If I ever have any issues (which I doubt) will have them write a program to eliminate adaptive learning of trans (which can easily be done)
As far as I am concerned ford's programming of the engine & trans is way to conservative & in some cases very sloppy
Have seen this many times in the 40 years I was involved with powertrain issues
So I will say it again
I am not at all concerned about trans life with adaptive learning enabled
I am sure Hennessy has addressed this issue as well or they would not offer 3 year warranty
You are certainly welcome to share your opinion as well
Guess we will just agree to disagree
Have a nice day:33:

All I'm saying is I've driven a Hennessey Velociraptor 600 and the old raptors ate more capable than the new ones power wise which share the same build as the navigator hse600.

Speaking from my experiences, and shared enthusiasm for speed.... save your money!

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good morning
Do not want to start a war here "BUT"
The 6.2l was a 3 valve per cylinder sohc engine
From my way of thinking this was a technology challenged obsolete engine
Now if the replaced the heads with 4 valve per cylinder, pent roof combustion chamber, dual overhead cams with variable cam phasing on both the intake & exhaust cams & GDI that would be a good start
That would improve airflow through then intake & exhaust ports about 50% & improve detonation resistance demonstrably.
Then raise compression ratio & replace the supercharger with dual turbo's & a large intercooler with large BOV's
Then they would have a technically correct engine technology
BTW the GM 6.2 is even worse because it is a pushrod 2 valve per cylinder engine
Finally the new mid engine vette & some of the Cadillacs will get the engine technology they deserve
Too bad that technology doesn't come in all gm applications
I am sure there will be a bunch of negative replies here but please think about it before you reply because if you check thoroughly on engine technologies you will find I am correct
Have a nice day all:33:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No negative here just differing viewpoints i suppose. When Ford came out with the 6.2L 379 CID V8 the lead engineer on the project talked about it on FTE. Fords #1 priority was reliability as this engine is for work duty application, so they chose a cast iron block, SOHC 2V design. To change up from the theme of the modular V8 this new one featured big bore and a short stroke....top end performance the modular V8 was missing. Less moving parts in the top end prone to failure is their philosophy. Instead of changing valves Raptor and Limited trims received a more aggressive camshaft and compression was raised for even more performance. Keep in mind this motor loves to rev and is capable of massive power via A/M because of its design. Ford is working on a V8 project now (project codename 7X) which could be a new 6.2L we will see. As far as pushrod I think GM has done well at keeping it with the times. I agree overhead cams are better but apparently not everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread has gone in a totally different direction than I had planned when I created it
I just wanted to offer my experience with the 5 star calibrations
Have the 93 octane performance/tow installed
Have not had a chance to do any wot runs but noticeable improvements in the following areas
Much better throttle response when moving from a stop
Although early the fuel mileage seems to be better
Transmission upshifts & downshifts much better
No more "SKIPPED" shifts that lugs engine at light throttle
Light throttle is all that is needed when passing whereas before I had to get deep in the throttle to get a decent response when passing
So far I am very satisfied & would definitely recommend this software update
Damn shame the Ford engineers did not do this
More to come later:burnout:

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please tell me you had no active part in the EGR or DPF creation?!
Many companies had to develop cleaner diesel technologies at the behest of our lovely Government
However common rail diesels with electronic controls produce much more torque on far less fuel than the old mechanical systems
The diesel smoke that used to be an indication of more power for diesels is no longer needed & was just wasted fuel anyway
They can also be easily calibrated for huge power gains with simple software calibration changes
Gale Banks & a lot of other diesel performance shops have proven this over & over

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
This thread has gone in a totally different direction than I had planned when I created it
I just wanted to offer my experience with the 5 star calibrations
Have the 93 octane performance/tow installed
Have not had a chance to do any wot runs but noticeable improvements in the following areas
Much better throttle response when moving from a stop
Although early the fuel mileage seems to be better
Transmission upshifts & downshifts much better
No more "SKIPPED" shifts that lugs engine at light throttle
Light throttle is all that is needed when passing whereas before I had to get deep in the throttle to get a decent response when passing
So far I am very satisfied & would definitely recommend this software update
Damn shame the Ford engineers did not do this
More to come later:burnout:

Did they inform you what they have modified the line pressures too?

I'm curious mainly being it' and electric pump in the 10r80 vs mech.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they inform you what they have modified the line pressures too?

I'm curious mainly being it' and electric pump in the 10r80 vs mech.
I do not know
It seems to match the increased engine torque & HP very well
I suppose you could ask 5 Star Tuning
Jacob seems to be very knowledgeable