Calibrations Available from 5 Star

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Loaded the 5 Star 93 octane calibration about an hour ago
Have not driven it much yet but throttle response seems much better & instant fuel mileage a little better as well
Anyone else loaded a calibration yet?
@Mike Wolfe, was hoping for a little more of a review. I know that you probably haven't driven it a ton yet, but I would have thought your hair might have been on fire with all that extra power!!!!!!

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't put any power adders to this 10speed transmission.

Adaptive learning transmissions are incredibly prone to breaking and the 10R80 is holding true to that stigma.

Here's perspective. My 1400hp daily driver diesel has a 68rfe(adaptive learning trans) in it which is a 100% built unit and the best of the best and it cost me close to $10k not including install. Even with having all the fanciest crap, and consistent driving habits.... All it takes is 1 "learned" characteristic to go out of whack and then you could be looking at a rebuild.

This 10R80 is especially problematic in that it uses different shift strategies and gear selection based on multiple factors.

At the end of the day, unless the tuner is also tuning the transmission software to a consistent pattern don't boost power and risk voiding your warranty for a trans that already has a reputation in the f150 world as being easily bricked.

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Hi All
5 star uses software from HP Tuners to create their calibrations
They also have a training program for tuners
https://thetuningschool.com/collections/hp-tuners
I would suspect many other TUNERS use their software to create their calibrations
If I was 20-30years younger I would definitely get set up with them
I am a 73 year old semi retired fuel & emissions engineer
Would be fun to get involved with today's vehicles now that you can do so much with just software recalibration
When I was young it required engine teardown to add compression, more aggressive camshaft, cylinder head porting, headers etc.
OH WELL:33:

Please tell me you had no active part in the EGR or DPF creation?!

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't put any power adders to this 10speed transmission.

Adaptive learning transmissions are incredibly prone to breaking and the 10R80 is holding true to that stigma.

Here's perspective. My 1400hp daily driver diesel has a 68rfe(adaptive learning trans) in it which is a 100% built unit and the best of the best and it cost me close to $10k not including install. Even with having all the fanciest crap, and consistent driving habits.... All it takes is 1 "learned" characteristic to go out of whack and then you could be looking at a rebuild.

This 10R80 is especially problematic in that it uses different shift strategies and gear selection based on multiple factors.

At the end of the day, unless the tuner is also tuning the transmission software to a consistent pattern don't boost power and risk voiding your warranty for a trans that already has a reputation in the f150 world as being easily bricked.
The software recalibrates the transmission as well
Same transmission used for NAVI with 450hp & 510lbft of torque
Have used "TUNES" for my 2011 f150 3.5L ecoboost, 2013 Flex 3.5L ecoboost, 2013 Taurus SHO with PP 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost. All were programmed for 93 octane & the transmission reprogrammed as well
Taurus will do 0-60mph in 3.8 seconds & 1/4 mile in 12.3 seconds
Never had any issues or failures with any of them
Trans always reprogrammed to match increased output of engine
So I challenge your assessment that the trans will not endure the increased power
FYI
Several F150,NAVI's & EXPY's recalibrated to600hp & offer 3 years warranty by several aftermarket suppliers

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Mike Wolfe, was hoping for a little more of a review. I know that you probably haven't driven it a ton yet, but I would have thought your hair might have been on fire with all that extra power!!!!!!
Throttle response much better
Have not been anywhere without our 2 large dogs in vehicle so have not tried WOT from stop
Want to check 0-60 times & try a run up in the mountains from here to flagstaff in the near future
Will let everyone know results

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
The software recalibrates the transmission as well
Same transmission used for NAVI with 450hp & 510lbft of torque
Have used "TUNES" for my 2011 f150 3.5L ecoboost, 2013 Flex 3.5L ecoboost, 2013 Taurus SHO with PP 3.5L Ecoboost, 2016 Explorer Sport 3.5L Ecoboost. All were programmed for 93 octane & the transmission reprogrammed as well
Taurus will do 0-60mph in 3.8 seconds & 1/4 mile in 12.3 seconds
Never had any issues or failures with any of them
Trans always reprogrammed to match increased output of engine
So I challenge your assessment that the trans will not endure the increased power
FYI
Several F150,NAVI's & EXPY's recalibrated to600hp & offer 3 years warranty by several aftermarket suppliers

I respect your data, but non equate to the 10R80.

This Trans has proved to be a nightmare for Ford so far, and frankly they built it to try and loophole environmental regs that Obama had put in place.

I can guarantee, unless the tuner can turn off the adaptive learning in the transmission the 10R80 WILL NEVER hold power reliably. This is not a reflection of the tuner, it just the fact the software literally will look to always try and better each and every shift. This means also trying to smooth out firm shifts that are often desired with increased HP.

It'd also be interesting to see what sort of bumps in line pressure they're doing. The greater the line psi the better the holding ability.

Yet keep this in mind, mustangs and f150 10R80 have had valve body issues under factory line psi. Now ramp up that psi in the exact same valve body and you have further advance the risk.

The best bet for any electronically controlled turbo engine and keeping a true warranty are by running "foolers". That way all you do is increase spool and move the power band sooner, net an increase of MPG, yet don't touch the fueling tables whoch keeps it in oem spec at peak delivery. Then when you need service you just remove it and it is 100% untraceable in the end.

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Personally I have no need for another toy with having a 1400hp diesel running low 11s weighing in at 9klbs, and a modified 2014 X6M making 700hp and has never touch a track yet runs a 12 from the factory....

BUT!!!

If I did..... I'd look in to both these trans tuning companies. First off making sure the adaptive nature was able to be shut off.

Just watch the length of the gears held, and you can see the shift firmness based on the drivers actions aswell.

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I respect your data, but non equate to the 10R80.

This Trans has proved to be a nightmare for Ford so far, and frankly they built it to try and loophole environmental regs that Obama had put in place.

I can guarantee, unless the tuner can turn off the adaptive learning in the transmission the 10R80 WILL NEVER hold power reliably. This is not a reflection of the tuner, it just the fact the software literally will look to always try and better each and every shift. This means also trying to smooth out firm shifts that are often desired with increased HP.

It'd also be interesting to see what sort of bumps in line pressure they're doing. The greater the line psi the better the holding ability.

Yet keep this in mind, mustangs and f150 10R80 have had valve body issues under factory line psi. Now ramp up that psi in the exact same valve body and you have further advance the risk.

The best bet for any electronically controlled turbo engine and keeping a true warranty are by running "foolers". That way all you do is increase spool and move the power band sooner, net an increase of MPG, yet don't touch the fueling tables whoch keeps it in oem spec at peak delivery. Then when you need service you just remove it and it is 100% untraceable in the end.
Sorry I disagree
Want the fuel tables modified as well so at wot and at transitions fuel is added along with additional turbo pressure
The 5 wire LINEAR O2 sensors will trim fuel at light loads so no major degradation in fuel mileage either
Shifts are somewhat firmer so as in all the vehicles I have owned the line pressure is increased & shift points much better at light throttle & at wot
Does not skip shift anymore either
Much better than factory calibration
Not the least bit worried about transmission life or durability
Hennessy offers 600hp calibration with 3 years powertrain warranty as well
https://www.motortrend.com/news/hennessey-upgrade-brings-2018-lincoln-navigator-up-to-600-hp/
Told me they can do the same for the EXPY
Hoping to get 0-60 in the 4's without upgrading any parts
Have the 3:73 axle ratio for better acceleration
Reason I purchased the HD tow is to get that axle ratio:33:

Last edited:

Blackscreen67

Born to spool
Reaction score
Sorry I disagree
Want the fuel tables modified as well so at wot and at transitions fuel is added along with additional turbo pressure
The 5 wire LINEAR O2 sensors will trim fuel at light loads so no major degradation in fuel mileage either
Shifts are somewhat firmer so as in all the vehicles I have owned the line pressure is increased & shift points much better at light throttle & at wot
Does not skip shift anymore either
Much better than factory calibration
Not the least bit worried about transmission life or durability
Hennessy offers 600hp calibration with 3 years powertrain warranty as well
https://www.motortrend.com/news/hennessey-upgrade-brings-2018-lincoln-navigator-up-to-600-hp/
Told me they can do the same for the EXPY
Hoping to get 0-60 in the 4's without upgrading any parts
Have the 3:73 axle ratio for better acceleration
Reason I purchased the HD tow is to get that axle ratio:33:

I live about 30mins from Hennessey, and have met him personally quite a few times at the track. And actually business partners with the man who he bought his track from.

I'l say this.... approach with caution.

Your going to do what you are and I respect that, just know you can tune a trans all day long..... it'll still be an adaptive learning trans still at the end of the day.

Here's perspective on how the techs are trained to deal with these incredibly complex adaptive transmissions.....

https://www.f150forum.com/attachmen...ed-shift-concerns-tsb-18-2079-tsb-18-2079.pdf

OP
OP
M

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Trans reprogrammed along with engine
The TSB is nothing more than reprogramming
I am a retired (73years old) fuel & emissions engineer & am very familiar adaptive learning & pcm programming tables.
Just too old to invest in the programming software to make my own calibrations
I specifically asked the 5 star group to reprogram the trans to eliminate the skipped shifts but did not ask them to eliminate adaptive learning.
If I ever have any issues (which I doubt) will have them write a program to eliminate adaptive learning of trans (which can easily be done)
As far as I am concerned ford's programming of the engine & trans is way to conservative & in some cases very sloppy
Have seen this many times in the 40 years I was involved with powertrain issues
So I will say it again
I am not at all concerned about trans life with adaptive learning enabled
I am sure Hennessy has addressed this issue as well or they would not offer 3 year warranty
You are certainly welcome to share your opinion as well
Guess we will just agree to disagree
Have a nice day:33:

Last edited: