Camshaft issues - P0022 and P052D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Dropped the truck off last night, after talking to the service manager on Friday and confirming that they'd already ordered and received all of the parts needed. So hopefully by the end of the day tomorrow, the truck should be all fixed up with new all new VCTs. Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly, and I'm only on the hook for the $200 deductible.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
It's always "fun" when your phone lights up with notifications about your vehicle when it's not in your possession...just got a "Powertrain malfunction/reduced power" warning on the phone app. We've seen a couple of those since we got the truck earlier this year, but there were never any DTCs stored, and it would clear up with the whole pull over / turn off / open door / restart the car process. It'll be interesting to see what the techs have to say about it.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
While I'm still waiting on an update from the dealer, the Ford app showed me that the truck has racked up about 50 miles this morning, and gone through almost a quarter of a tank of gas. I'm not sure what they do as part of normal diagnostics or testing after the VCT replacements, or if they're trying to reproduce the "powertrain malfunction" light that they triggered yesterday afternoon. It was interesting to watch them drive it all over the city before returning to the shop.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
And just to (hopefully) wrap up this story, service manager emailed me to let me know that the repairs are done and went as expected, and they did a 30+ mile test drive just to make sure everything was good. The repair is covered for 2 years / unlimited miles at any Ford dealer, so I'm wondering exactly how that works, but not going to complain. We'll make the drive down to pick it up on Thursday night.

But I gotta say that the folks at Ron Lewis Ford in Beaver Falls have been great, including the service manager (Liz) and the folks in parts that worked to get all of the parts in before I dropped the car off. They stood by their powertrain warranty that came with the car, and all we're responsible for is the deductible.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
And when I had thought/hoped the story was over...I went out yesterday to take my son to the dr, and found a huge lake of oil all over my garage floor. Confirmed with the dipstick that nearly all of the oil has leaked out somewhere...looking underneath, there is oil dripping from a number of different spots along the belly.

So, back to the shop it goes.PXL_20230620_150718227.jpg

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And when I had thought/hoped the story was over...I went out yesterday to take my son to the dr, and found a huge lake of oil all over my garage floor. Confirmed with the dipstick that nearly all of the oil has leaked out somewhere...looking underneath, there is oil dripping from a number of different spots along the belly.

So, back to the shop it goes.View attachment 78000
Sorry, that sux. Hopefully the dealer takes responsibility

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rhu Rho Raggy. Hoping the dealer had it towed back to the shop and maybe sent you some rags to clean that up. That to me is what I dislike about this whole thing, it's a ticking time bomb if you have dealers across the country having to crack open engines because of a poor design, we're just all rolling the dice on when something like this will start happening to more and more of us. Yes, its most likely to occur right after the work, but it's like cracking any seal... Just think about the folks on here that have had to have this done 3 or 4 times.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
So, the dealer that did the original repair is almost 150 miles away, but they told me to just take it to my local dealer and give them the service manager's contact information. They got it in earlier this week, and the tech found that the VDOP seals were missing...so they installed new seals and topped the oil back off (3 quarts) and we've got it back, and the original dealer covered the bill. So fingers crossed we're at the end of this story :D

khammer

Reaction score
So, the dealer that did the original repair is almost 150 miles away, but they told me to just take it to my local dealer and give them the service manager's contact information. They got it in earlier this week, and the tech found that the VDOP seals were missing...so they installed new seals and topped the oil back off (3 quarts) and we've got it back, and the original dealer covered the bill. So fingers crossed we're at the end of this story :D

Have you had any issues since this repair?

My 2018 with 105K threw CEL last week. I pulled DTCs from Forscan and had P0021 'A' Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 2)

I ended up clearing the DTCs and the CEL is off now. I was attempting to clear DTC's for RGTM due to issue with rear lift gate and cleared all the codes by mistake. So no my CEL is not on and has not returned in the last week. I guess I will wait to see if the camshaft position is in fact a problem and throws the code again before taking it in. I have an AUL service contract so should cover any needed repairs to powertrain.

khammer

Reaction score
CEL did come back on for a few days. I noticed a rough idle only 1 time in the last week. Same code P0021.

CEL then went off yesterday so I checked DTCs on forscan and it stored the P0021: noted that malfunction indicator lamp is OFF for this DTC. There was also the code P0018 - crankshaft position - camshaft position correlation - bank 2 sensor A status (-68): Malfunction indicator lamp is OFF for this DTC as well.

2 weeks out from my service appointment so I am just going to monitor if CEL returns but at least the codes are stored for now and they should still be able to do diagnostics based on the DTCS present.