Camshaft issues - P0022 and P052D

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrissbu

Reaction score
Took our new (to us) 2019 Expedition (66k miles) on a bit of a road trip last weekend...first longer trip since we got it, about 350 miles each way. The drive down was mainly uneventful, but once I got into town, I noticed that the engine cam noise was much louder and prevalent than usual. On the drive home, even at highway speed, I could occasionally make out the "rattle." When I started up the truck a couple of days after getting home, the check engine light came on :(

Hooked it up to Forscan this morning, and pulled two DTCs that stood out:

===PCM DTC P0022:00-ED===
Code: P0022 - 'A' Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)

Status (-ED):
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Powertrain Control Module

===END PCM DTC P0022:00-ED===

===PCM DTC P052D:00-ED===
Code: P052D - Cold Start Intake (A) Camshaft Position Timing Over-Retarded (Bank 2)

Status (-ED):
- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is On for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Powertrain Control Module

===END PCM DTC P052D:00-ED===

I'm guessing that this is probably a bad sign :( The dealer I bought it from has a 100K powertrain warranty, but they're 2 hours away, and I'm not sure if this would be covered or not. And I see that there's a history of issues with the camshafts with these, but the last notes I found said that they ended the TSB back on Jan 1 2023. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions of things I can do or check out before biting the bullet and sending it into the shop? I do have a Ford dealer just a couple of miles from me down the road, and was debating having them take a look first, on the off chance that it might be covered under a TSB or other extended coverage, but wanted to check with the collective wisdom of this group before I had to start plopping down cash.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the Powertrain warranty from the dealer is your best option. Read the warranty terms carefully before heading there.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
Had the local dealer take a look, and they said all 4 vct units need replacement, and quoted $2800 plus tax, but parts are all backordered. I'm going to send the estimate over to the dealer we bought it from to confirm they'd cover it under their power train warranty.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
sadly i bet the previous owner knew about this... Feel bad for your issues.
I think so, too, along with the dealer. When I told my salesman about it, his response was that we should have listened to him when he said to get the extended warranty.

OP
OP
C

chrissbu

Reaction score
We're at 66k miles. I just got confirmation from the service manager that it would be covered under the dealer's powertrain warranty, and just needs signoff from the general manager to approve the coverage. <whew>

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We're at 66k miles. I just got confirmation from the service manager that it would be covered under the dealer's powertrain warranty, and just needs signoff from the general manager to approve the coverage. <whew>
Time to get that Ford PremiumCare extended warranty my friend.