Can I add 2012 Factory trailer brake controller to 2010 Expy EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattyMMA

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've tried some searching and I found where people were looking to add the factory trailer brake controller to newer models and even then, not all the information.

What is required to add the factory trailer brake controller. We have a 30' Keystone outback and are planning a 25+ trip next June-July and would like something better than I have. But I'm 6'4" so I would like to minimize taking up any of the real estate in my drivers area.

Other than adding the factory controller, are there other trailer brake controllers with a remote mount that I could possibly add to that area? I've seen some models by Redarc? But they are Austrailian and not sure how it would do and intergrate with the Expy.

2010 Expy EL Limited with rear load leveling.

Thanks for any help.

Matt.

View media item 6216

Skylimit1

Reaction score
WAYYY old thread, but curious what you ended up doing? I was surprised to find out from the local dealer that there wasn't an OEM option for the 2010 Expy.

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
I used the P3 also but mounted mine to tge right knee bolster. Makes getting out easier than under the column
Eventually I'll probably move mine. I can't remember why I didn't end up with it where you're talking about, but there was a reason at the time. If I get rid of the hinge part of the mount, mine wouldn't be bad. I only keep it there when I'm towing anyway.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 17 model only has a 4 pin plug in the rear. But when I looked under there it looks as if the other wires are there to? So probably could install a 7 pin and add the brake controler, but idk. Those just plug in under the dash right, and vehicle has to be ready for them? Atleast that's how my Suburban was, but it alrdy had the 7 pin connection in rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

HawkX66

Semper Fi!
Reaction score
My 17 model only has a 4 pin plug in the rear. But when I looked under there it looks as if the other wires are there to? So probably could install a 7 pin and add the brake controler, but idk. Those just plug in under the dash right, and vehicle has to be ready for them? Atleast that's how my Suburban was, but it alrdy had the 7 pin connection in rear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I think you'll find they're all pre-wired for the brake controller from the dash back to the rear bumper. I can't remember for sure, but I think all you have to do is plug in the right 7 pin connector harness back by the tail lights. I don't think it's slice and dice to install it. I'm sure someone here knows and can comment. All my rigs have had the HD towing package, so I haven't had to mess with it. If you can't find out, let me know. I have factory manuals and factory wiring diagrams.