Can we talk HD Tow one more time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1oldtimer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just came back with my first ever Travel Trailer and thought I would add my reflections and experiences to this thread. My Wife’s family live in Northern Michigan, while we live in South Florida. I bought the camper at a dealer In Northern Michigan, so we drove up, hooked up and then went from there. The camper is a Coachmen Spirit 2454BH weighing 5,500 lb dry. I estimate that we added another 1000 lbs. of stuff. From bumper to ball, the trailer is 29 feet. My Expedition is a 2019 Max AWD with 303A. Prior to the trip, I swapped out the 22” wheels for 18’s with Sumitomo LT tires. I also added Sumo helpers and swapped both front and rear sway bars with Hellwigs. The hitch was set up by the dealer and is an Equalizer 4 way WDH (10,000 lb).

We towed up to the Upper Peninsula and back down to South Florida, mostly on I-75, then I-95 in Florida. According to the Expedition Tow screen, we towed just under 2500 miles. I was very impressed with the power of the Expedition and Tow mode gave this newbie confidence in driving with the trailer. The engine braking and 4A mode was especially welcome on the slippery roads of the Tennessee Mountains during heavy rain and fog. The WDH, plus the Hellwig bars kept sway to a minimum (on I-10 there was a 12 mph cross wind that promoted a little sway). I was not, however, impressed with the gas mileage of 8.5 mpg overall (with 93 octane), but it is what it is (I do admit that I was probably driving closer to 80 mph more often than I should have). I am glad that the max has a 28 gallon tank. I’m also surprised that with my relatively light trailer and Sumo helpers, that there is a fair amount of squat. I don’t think it affected my steering or caused any sway, but just looks a little unbalanced. The next trip, I’ll try to move more weight behind the trailer axles. Overall, my first experience with owning a camper and towing it with the Expedition is a very positive one.
That is the exact camper I am wanting to trade my Keystone Passport 3290bh in for. How do you like it?
I need to downsize to be able to have more access to the National Parks.

WESIII

Reaction score
That is the exact camper I am wanting to trade my Keystone Passport 3290bh in for. How do you like it?
I need to downsize to be able to have more access to the National Parks.
We like it a lot! It's just my Wife and teenage Son, but plenty of space for 2 or 3 more people to sleep in. I'm pretty OCD about straight build lines and the construction, especially during a pandemic, impressed me. It seems like they really paid attention to the assembly, as opposed to just slapping it together. Really, really like the back cargo door. I don't know why they wouldn't put this on every bunkhouse. It tows great, to this newbie, and at 29 feet (OAL) I had no problems in any campground. There were 3 times we were only staying overnight and I had enough room to stay hitched up. I definitely recommend. If you have any detailed questions or want pictures, just let me know.

Last edited:

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at a Stealth Nomad toy hauler. I'm thinking this is going to be too much with my Yamaha Wolverine X4 in the garage (1920lbs with accessories).

FRONT GAWR: 1531 KG (3375 LB)
GVWR: 3379 KG (7450 LB)
REAR GAWR: 1987 KG (4380 LB)
The combined weight of occupants: and cargo should never exceed: 689 KG (1520 lbs.)

1628854514480.png

MHay

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looking at a Stealth Nomad toy hauler. I'm thinking this is going to be too much with my Yamaha Wolverine X4 in the garage (1920lbs with accessories).

FRONT GAWR: 1531 KG (3375 LB)
GVWR: 3379 KG (7450 LB)
REAR GAWR: 1987 KG (4380 LB)
The combined weight of occupants: and cargo should never exceed: 689 KG (1520 lbs.)
It depends — how much other “stuff” are you planning to bring in the trailer? With only your ATV and accessories you’ll probably be fine.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say at most 40lbs of luggage, a 5 gallon gas can (35lbs), my UTV tool box we carry (35lbs), aluminum race jack (40lbs). 2 adults and 2 children totaling around 500lbs including their car seats.

I think the biggest thing that would crush my tongue weight would be filling up the fresh water tank (46 gallons = around 400lbs). That's going to suck not being able to fill that up before we leave... :confused:

X BRONCO OWNER

Reaction score
toy haulers are built with a heavy unloaded tongue weight. The rear axles are set further back then a regular trailer. When you put your toys in the back it will reduce your tongue weight a bit. Best bet is to measure tongue weight when its fully loaded

Last edited:

Shutterbug57

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here would've recommended pulling something that heavy. Seems like the RV dealer didn't provide advise the customer appropriately.

When we were RV shopping, we found dealers that told us my Expy could pull 12,000 trailers. I’m pretty sure some would have said my wife’s Fiat 500 could pull a 5er if they thought it would sell the trailer. Believe what RV dealers tell you at your own peril. Most aren’t malicious, just willfully ignorant.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
toy haulers are built with a heavy unloaded tongue weight. The rear axles are set further back then a regular trailer. When you put your toys in the back it will reduce your tongue weight a bit. Best bet is to measure tongue weight when its fully loaded
Thats a great point I hadn't considered, loading my wolverine slightly behind the rear axle will counterweight the tongue.

I think you're right, best bet is to find one locally and properly distribute the weight with my wolverine in the back.

Thanks for the help!

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so Im comparing my Gen3, 4 wheel drive, Limited with HD Tow (Included with Limited) and if you look at the attached pic compared to the build and capacity tags listed above; my front axle is the same at 3550, rear axle is 4300 (80 short of above) and GVWR 7500, but total capacity is only 1361?

Is this because:
a) this is a Gen 3 with a mostly steel body vs aluminum.
b) The aluminum body of Gen 4 plus more power than Gen3
c) ?? please tell me why.

Attachments

• F764AE76-27C8-443C-82BF-6A411E725A23.jpeg
    F764AE76-27C8-443C-82BF-6A411E725A23.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One more question. Someone mentioned in this thread that running 93 octane when towing improves performance, again does this apply only to Gen4TT engines or also to Gen3TT? I dont remember ever seeing that in my 2017 owners manual.