Can you hear your fuel pump prime?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. It’s the fuel pump. The video makes it sound a lot louder than it actually is.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to restate (and I KNOW half the forum is going to lose its mind when I say this), so get ready:

they all do it, whether you have noticed it or not, and it's normal.

It was new for 2018 and is on the F150s as well. It is a feature built in to allow quicker startup when you hit the push-to-start button. Before 2018, Ford set the pump to prime when you inserted the key so it was ready when you turn the key. Folks were normally inside the vehicle with the door shut when they insert their key so they never heard it (I could actually hear it on my 2012 F150, although it was more of a solenoid noise, but I digress).

Because there is no key in these, Ford has programmed it to prime the pump when the driver's door opens. (Fun fact, if you leave the vehicle off with the driver's door open for a while (like 1 hour+), the pump will actually prime when you close the door too.)

If it bothers you for some reason, you can disable it through forscan (this is from the F150 forscan sheet, so it may not work on ours):

726-41-01 xxxx x*xx xxxx Fuel Prime on Door Ajar Cfg: 0=no prime, 1=prime

So...yes, they all do it...and yes it is supposed to do it...and no nothing is wrong with it.

If you don't hear it, you're either in a loud area when you open the door, or you think it's the sound from the running board, or you're just not listening hard enough. But I promise your Expi does it. (And probably your Navi too, but maybe the raptor motor has different programming.)

And now, for everyone who is going to yell at me and tell me that theirs doesn't and I'm wrong....GO!!

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just opened my driver’s door and yes I hear it, it’s quite but there.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine doesn’t sound like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHD20

Reaction score
Mine has always done it (the whole month and a half I've had it) and I really appreciate knowing what it is now. Great explanation AggieGrad. Thanks!

OP
OP
Randy_270

Randy_270

Reaction score
Checked my work truck the other day and sure enough, I heard the pump prime... Now that my power running boards have been replaced and work, that’s all I hear. So maybe the power running board sound is loud enough to drown out the pump sound and that’s why I’ve never heard the pump before?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s also usually priming at the same time the mirrors are unfolding, so the mirror motor also drowns it out a bit (if you have them set to fold/unfold on lock/unlock).

KSC 2019 XLT

Reaction score
My 2019 XLT makes that sound whenever I open the door. Maybe the folks with the retractable running boards don't hear it because the running boards muzzles the sound.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni