Capless Gas Tank logic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what intern at the FoMoCo was given the task of designing the capless gas tank, and the ingenious end result it produced?

I'm unable to dispense anything into it without spilling it over. Tried adding octane booster today (I'm tuned), and the bottle got lodged inside while the contents fully spilled out. Same goes for any other fuel additive. Be prepared to get it all over your leg and side of your truck, because there is some sort of a flap.

My second issue is with wintertime driving. When I get a car wash (or water otherwise gets trapped behind the gas tank cover), it freezes the gas flap, making it difficult to open from the outside. Nothing short of banging on it at the pump will get it unstuck.

Sorry guys, just venting at the utter idiocy employed by FoMoCo at some of their "features".

Why fix a good old gas cap when it was never broken?

KDisMe

Reaction score
The capless gas tank works pretty well for fueling. I think it's much better than having to hang the cap somewhere or slide it in a receptacle on the fuel door to prevent gas from dripping off it and landing on my paint.
There's a funnel by your spare tire that will let you do what you're trying to do with the additive. I know it's not the most convenient place but it's there and it works. Maybe leave it out if you're having to add octane boost regularly for the tune?

OP
OP
N

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for that tip. The spare is hanging off the underbody. Will look into manual to see where it's located exactly.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think he meant the funnel is inside under the floor by the jack and that stuff. Yellow funnel. Most car companies don't want you using additives, so I suspect they aren't trying to design the filler opening around using additives. I haven't read that in the expedition manual but it has said it in my dodge and jeep manuals.

I have had lots of different fuel doors get stuck...will have to see what happens when it gets cold on the expedition. Haven't had freezing temps yet.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Owners manual states don’t add an additives to the fuel. Doesn’t mater if you’re tuned or not. Either run the highest octane at your pump or mix ethanol. Problem solved

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great for clean and fuss-free fueling, doesn't frequently produce check engine light events like a cap

Also makes putting random additives in a PITA (and recquires some rudimentary research to figure out), which is probably a welcome bonus as far as the warranty service accountants are concerned.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a spare funnel in my garage. I often can't find "good" fuel locally, so I often end up buying 6 gallon cans of it out of town when I go somewhere and then I dump it in later on. Works flawless with Ford's funnel!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker