Car trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put car trailer on truck with rear air suspension and did not handle well. Vehicle on trailer was a S10 for a project for older truck. Any suggestions, maybe have to use load leveling hitch which i did not need with my e250.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right or wrong I always try to turn the air suspension off, then attach trailer. Load it. Then turn it back on before heading out. In about a minute or so it levels out the rear of the truck - I think you have to reach 20MPH. And the ride is fantastic. You shouldn’t even know a S10 is back there.

When unloading or unhitching trailer I turn air off again. Same when launching the boat. In my pea brain this somehow works best.

What exactly do you mean by didn’t handle well? Sway? Bounce? Tug? You able to estimate load weight and ensure tongue weight was appropriate? Open car trailer or enclosed? I don’t think a WD hitch is needed for a load like this, guessing 3500 pound ballpark.

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
The air will only run with all the doors closed and under 16mph. So if you hook up, hop in and go maybe you didn't allow time for the air to level the truck? I have a bad habit of leaving my drivers door open while I hook up and the one time I didn't give the suspension some time to level, it didn't handle the weight very well.

Fyi on a exp with real load leveling there are no coil springs in the rear.

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
U-haul trailer?? They put too much toung weight on the truck. Especially with a pickup load. Next time back the truck on the trailer and problem solved.

sdarc

Reaction score
I towed my BMW M3 on a U-Haul trailer. No air ride. Probably close to 5500 lbs. Towed like a dream. 70 mph+

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No air ride and towed beautifully at 70 + mph. Had a little squat but handled great.D562E58F-558B-48C6-90A9-62F5474214DF.jpeg D528FC68-9D91-4DBB-8D27-BDC62E2C9362.jpeg

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
** Topic Swerve **
Clone or real deal ‘69 Eliminator?
She’s a real Eliminator.... 390 with factory air. I’ve done a lot of mods to the 390 though. I couldn’t leave it stock no matter how rare it is. Let’s just say a stock 428 CJ doesn’t have anything for it.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice ride, man. Love the 69 - 70 Cougars and 70 - 71 Cyclones.
Thanks , I’ve owned it since 1995 and restored it myself. It takes up garage space just sitting under cover and I’ve contemplated selling it several times, but then I take it out for a romp and it’s just a blast to drive. It never misses a beat and I pull it back in the garage and say I can’t sell that beast.