CARiD.com sent me a damaged wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You get what you pay for! Rock Auto is the Wal Mart of parts stores. Come on guys, you want cheap, you get cheap. Their not exactly the Nieman Marcus of Auto parts. Their all about big volume, big profit. The personnel working in shipping are probably not top of the food chain. And more than likely never installed a radiator hose. So to them putting a parts or sales purchase tag through your upper radiator hose was never a issue to him/her. They had no idea coolant runs through it.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

They use dropshippers. Sometimes it comes from a dealership parts dep't, sometimes from a large volume auto parts warehouse, sometimes the manufacturer, etc. Any time dropshipping is involved the merchant wants to play the blame game. I always tell them: That's a YOU problem. My agreement is with you so you need to ensure I get what I paid for. If you want to send your dropshipper a bill, stiff them on a payment, sue them, whatever, go for it. It has nothing to do with me and our agreement.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well there you go. Whether it's drop shipped, very common, or from Rock themselves, theirs always going to be breakage/ damage of some sort in retail, a job that I've been involved in more than once in my life, it's not the sale, it's how you handle the customer on the return, or damage that makes all the difference. Customer's leave retail establishments due to poor customer service more than any other issue. Stores forget the old adage of treat customer's as you would want to be treated yourself, with courtesy and respect. Something a lot of businesses have forgotten these days.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man o man, don't get me started on the Bs when it comes to this cutthroat delivery companies.
(Full disclosure...I work as a class A CDL pickup and delivery driver for an LTL Freight company.)

In my neighborhood, there are 6 streets that run parallel to one another. The big three (USPS, Fedex, UPS) PLUS Amazon, have all delivered packages to the street just one block earlier than mine, but same numerical address...
red queen
honey tree
March Hare - BINGO
Savoy
Jousting lane
Etc etc

In my not so humble opinion, lazy people relying on GPS guided devices are the main culprit. They have no idea, how to read an old school paper map, and are completely dependent on a "vocal guide" to tell them when to turn. These same folks have no comprehension of distance either, so when the "guide" says turn left in 300 ft on to March Hare and your destination will be on the left, these wonderfully dedicated folks, turn immediately upon hearing the prompt.

So they consistently turn one street early, drop at the wrong street but "correct" numerical address, occasionally snap a photo as "proof of delivery," and move along, repeatedly doing the same half ass job.

When my packages DO actually make it to my doorstep, my "Ring doorbell" captures these same ultra professional and caring individuals stopping 10 feet (or more) of my front stoop, and launching our package(s) onto the stoop, followed my snapping a photo, as proof of delivery.

Technology IMO, is fantastic, but unfortunately many many halfwits abuse it by not taking their jobs seriously enough to have pride in doing a great job, not simply a lukewarm effort.

I should not visit forums while sipping Maker's Mark...

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
BTW, I forgot to mention, I bought a set of takeoffs from eBay, TWICE!

The first time, the actual items came in, pooooooorly packaged with very little concern for enroute damage. From the description and photos, they appeared decent with little to no outward appearance issues. However, when I actually opened each of the boxes, I was less than impressed, with the actual condition of the wheels. Immediately sent a strongly worded inquiry through eBay about the discrepancy, clearly stating that a fraud case would be pursued with eBay, unless they would accept return of wheels, via prepaid labels emailed to me, and 100% refund - no restocking fees.

Cliff notes response, was "You don't need to get uptight about it, we'll take care of it."

The second time, was with a completely different seller, and the wheels that arrived were actually the wheels pictured in the ad, and were carefully packaged with an abundance of fill as well as "complete wheel nets" (think of food worker hairnets, but much thicker) and I couldn't be happier.
The good seller I bought from was "rimsexpress" on eBay, I think they're in Indiana.

If I were you, especially if this spare wheelset is for mounting snow tires (like me) I'd return the carid wheels, and get Fomoco wheels from a reputable seller on ebay, or look on Craigslist for F-150 wheels, locally.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Man o man, don't get me started on the Bs when it comes to this cutthroat delivery companies.
(Full disclosure...I work as a class A CDL pickup and delivery driver for an LTL Freight company.)

In my neighborhood, there are 6 streets that run parallel to one another. The big three (USPS, Fedex, UPS) PLUS Amazon, have all delivered packages to the street just one block earlier than mine, but same numerical address...
red queen
honey tree
March Hare - BINGO
Savoy
Jousting lane
Etc etc

In my not so humble opinion, lazy people relying on GPS guided devices are the main culprit. They have no idea, how to read an old school paper map, and are completely dependent on a "vocal guide" to tell them when to turn. These same folks have no comprehension of distance either, so when the "guide" says turn left in 300 ft on to March Hare and your destination will be on the left, these wonderfully dedicated folks, turn immediately upon hearing the prompt.

So they consistently turn one street early, drop at the wrong street but "correct" numerical address, occasionally snap a photo as "proof of delivery," and move along, repeatedly doing the same half ass job.

When my packages DO actually make it to my doorstep, my "Ring doorbell" captures these same ultra professional and caring individuals stopping 10 feet (or more) of my front stoop, and launching our package(s) onto the stoop, followed my snapping a photo, as proof of delivery.

Technology IMO, is fantastic, but unfortunately many many halfwits abuse it by not taking their jobs seriously enough to have pride in doing a great job, not simply a lukewarm effort.

I should not visit forums while sipping Maker's Mark...

UPS just allows the drivers to enter in delivery attempts with no evidence that they've ever even been to the property. My disgruntled UPS worker put in 2 delivery attempts on 2 consecutive days and said he was there and felt there was no safe place to leave it. My house is 40 yards from the top of my driveway and the entire property is completely surrounded by trees/thick brush. It is also located in an agriculturally zoned, quiet rural/suburban neighborhood. Ultimately, I spoke to his supervisor and insisted she pull the GPS log as I didn't believe he ever attempted delivery. She did so and found that on days 1 and 2 he was already back at the UPS hub when he claimed to have attempted delivery. On day 3, a second delivery driver put in a delivery attempt while he was on another route about 40 miles from my home (likely at the behest of disgruntled driver #1).

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPS just allows the drivers to enter in delivery attempts with no evidence that they've ever even been to the property. My disgruntled UPS worker put in 2 delivery attempts on 2 consecutive days and said he was there and felt there was no safe place to leave it. My house is 40 yards from the top of my driveway and the entire property is completely surrounded by trees/thick brush. It is also located in an agriculturally zoned, quiet rural/suburban neighborhood. Ultimately, I spoke to his supervisor and insisted she pull the GPS log as I didn't believe he ever attempted delivery. She did so and found that on days 1 and 2 he was already back at the UPS hub when he claimed to have attempted delivery. On day 3, a second delivery driver put in a delivery attempt while he was on another route about 40 miles from my home (likely at the behest of disgruntled driver #1).

It's not just UPS most all companies in the movement of parcels or freight, have extreme similarities between them. There are "canned details" a driver can choose to show why there was an "exception" to a delivery. This would include a non delivery, or a delivery that was refused due to damage, or a delivery that was accepted but had sustained damage, noted in detail as to what exactly was damaged, then the shipper and carrier hash out who will make the client whole, with a replacement part.
There are a myriad of reasons why goods aren't delivered when they are actually on their "final mile", which includes weather related, traffic, etc.
Example, I had two deliveries in the trailer last week that I brought back to the terminal, because I wasn't allowed to cross a bridge (high profile vehicle) due to high winds. If I could cross the bridge, I was only 20 minutes from both customers at 3:45pm. As it was, I was forced to turn around, and proceed on a 1.5 hour detour. As a matter S.O.P., most companies will not attempt deliveries past 5,pm UNLESS arrangements are made in advance.

In this case I coded both deliveries at 3:30pm as returns due to customers being closed. Obviously, they weren't closed at that moment, but had I driven the additional 85 miles through the woods, they most certainly would have been closed.

Semantics, pure and simple

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's not just UPS most all companies in the movement of parcels or freight, have extreme similarities between them. There are "canned details" a driver can choose to show why there was an "exception" to a delivery. This would include a non delivery, or a delivery that was refused due to damage, or a delivery that was accepted but had sustained damage, noted in detail as to what exactly was damaged, then the shipper and carrier hash out who will make the client whole, with a replacement part.
There are a myriad of reasons why goods aren't delivered when they are actually on their "final mile", which includes weather related, traffic, etc.
Example, I had two deliveries in the trailer last week that I brought back to the terminal, because I wasn't allowed to cross a bridge (high profile vehicle) due to high winds. If I could cross the bridge, I was only 20 minutes from both customers at 3:45pm. As it was, I was forced to turn around, and proceed on a 1.5 hour detour. As a matter S.O.P., most companies will not attempt deliveries past 5,pm UNLESS arrangements are made in advance.

In this case I coded both deliveries at 3:30pm as returns due to customers being closed. Obviously, they weren't closed at that moment, but had I driven the additional 85 miles through the woods, they most certainly would have been closed.

Semantics, pure and simple

This guy just fabricated reasons any time he was running behind or just having a bad day and looking to be spiteful. He did it for a few years on and off following my complaint about him tossing my packages off the back of his truck like a shot putter. Thankfully, he has now retired and is probably headed for an asylum somewhere.

UPS deliveries in this area run until about 7pm btw. It's been that way for the 12 years I've lived here.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I returned a pair of shoes I'd ordered years back, and clearly wrote to and from on the box along with address. The very next day Ups brought it right back to me. I said to the driver, can't you read to and from? Rather than him saying sorry he mumbled some garbage about take it up with UPS. He grabbed the box of shoes and left. Unbelievable. Nowadays they have the digital labels so the driver's don't have to read.

OP
OP
Jeka

Jeka

Reaction score
Fyi CARiD doesn't ship the items. They are a middle man and when you order from them they just forward the order to the manufacturer.
Maybe, I didn't know that. But to be honest it shouldn't be my problem. I don't really want to be a PITA customer, but during the online chat with their customer support I was given two possible options of my issue resolution:
1. If the damage was during the transportation, they accept the claim and refund/replace item.
2. If the damage was during the fitment attempt - the wheel is non-returnable.

Manufacturer/sender error was not even an option. I should admit the wheels were packaged good - attached is pre-RMA checklist they sent to me - I received them packaged the same (double boxes, foam, etc). My concern was if they are so cheap and will try to push fitment attempt on me.
Will see. The replacement wheel should come in the next couple of days.

Attachments

• PRE RMA Checklist Wheels.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Jeka

Jeka

Reaction score
BTW, I forgot to mention, I bought a set of takeoffs from eBay, TWICE!

The first time, the actual items came in, pooooooorly packaged with very little concern for enroute damage. From the description and photos, they appeared decent with little to no outward appearance issues. However, when I actually opened each of the boxes, I was less than impressed, with the actual condition of the wheels. Immediately sent a strongly worded inquiry through eBay about the discrepancy, clearly stating that a fraud case would be pursued with eBay, unless they would accept return of wheels, via prepaid labels emailed to me, and 100% refund - no restocking fees.

Cliff notes response, was "You don't need to get uptight about it, we'll take care of it."

The second time, was with a completely different seller, and the wheels that arrived were actually the wheels pictured in the ad, and were carefully packaged with an abundance of fill as well as "complete wheel nets" (think of food worker hairnets, but much thicker) and I couldn't be happier.
The good seller I bought from was "rimsexpress" on eBay, I think they're in Indiana.

If I were you, especially if this spare wheelset is for mounting snow tires (like me) I'd return the carid wheels, and get Fomoco wheels from a reputable seller on ebay, or look on Craigslist for F-150 wheels, locally.
Yes, that was my first choice. I was looking for local takeoffs through the summer - had couple good opportunities but one guy didn't want to sell without tires and the price was quite steep, another one was pretty sketchy so I wasn't sure if they were not stolen (maybe I am over suspicious :)) Anyway, spent tons of time looking for wheels - OEM takeoffs or lightweight forged wheels with clean design (didn't want badass off-road rims with fake bead locks). Found a set, which is the subject of this topic...