CARiD.com sent me a damaged wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeka

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

carid.com - need community advice.

I ordered a set of forged wheels from carid.com ($600 - each) - three of them have minor chips on the back - all in about the same spots, so I guess it's manufacturing/painting process defects - I can probably touch up and live with that, but one has scratches (see attached photos - are these scratches typical for fitment attempt or something else?) - no damage to the packaging.

I chatted with their customer support today - according to their policy, they are going to submit a damage claim to FedEx. FedEx courier will come to do assessment. If the damage acquired due the improper packaging they will approve the claim, if it was fitment attempt they decline it.

I am in Canada, my US shipping address is a P.O. parcel service near the boarder, so follow their process will be challenging. As I mentioned the packaging is fine - it was not damaged during the transportation so don't think FedEx will take responsibility. Someone already tried to do something with this rim and it was put into the box in this condition.

My 2018 Expedition Platinum came on stock 22” wheels, I was going to downsize to 20” for winter and run stock size for Limited trim – 275/55R20, so didn’t need to do any fitment.

Wondering if anybody dealt with them in similar manner? Do they worth to invest any time or it is their “normal” way of doing business and I am f’d up? Thanks.

IMG_0169.JPG IMG_0170.JPG IMG_0172.JPG IMG_0175.JPG IMG_0176.JPG

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is their responsibility to deliver the item you paid for. You paid for 4 wheels in new condition - not 3 wheels in pretty good condition and 1 semi-used wheel. If it were me, I would let it play out and allow them the opportunity to make it right. If FedEx denies the claim and carid still won't make it right, then I would file a credit card dispute on the basis of the items being significantly different than described. In cases like these where the item was delivered damaged, it's almost always an open and shut dispute and the merchant is forced to make it right by replacement of the product or a refund.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's bent

Shipping got nothing to do with it.

Also, if theyre THAT easy to bend, you dont want that crap anyway

....why didnt you just get F150 or Raptor or Expedition takeoffs for a fraction of the price, and with none of these problems???

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Fyi CARiD doesn't ship the items. They are a middle man and when you order from them they just forward the order to the manufacturer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeka

Jeka

Reaction score
It is their responsibility to deliver the item you paid for. You paid for 4 wheels in new condition - not 3 wheels in pretty good condition and 1 semi-used wheel. If it were me, I would let it play out and allow them the opportunity to make it right. If FedEx denies the claim and carid still won't make it right, then I would file a credit card dispute on the basis of the items being significantly different than described. In cases like these where the item was delivered damaged, it's almost always an open and shut dispute and the merchant is forced to make it right by replacement of the product or a refund.
Thanks for the quick reply and your time. An hour ago, I got an email that they sent a replacement and charged my credit card another $600 :) So I'm going to return the damaged wheel and see how it goes - they supposed to issue a refund after receive the damaged wheel. Will keep this topic updated until it resolves one way or another.

OP
OP
Jeka

Jeka

Reaction score
That's bent

Shipping got nothing to do with it.

Also, if theyre THAT easy to bend, you dont want that crap anyway

....why didnt you just get F150 or Raptor or Expedition takeoffs for a fraction of the price, and with none of these problems???
Maybe my camera didn't pick all the details, the shape of the wheel is not damaged. Original colour is gloss back, and the damaged part looks like it's been sandpapered - in one place it's very fine "sandpaper", in another pretty coarse...

Yes, you are right. maybe takeoffs would be a better way to go... Got caught with emotions of having a new truck and wanted to get something special...

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply and your time. An hour ago, I got an email that they sent a replacement and charged my credit card another $600 :) So I'm going to return the damaged wheel and see how it goes - they supposed to issue a refund after receive the damaged wheel. Will keep this topic updated until it resolves one way or another.

I hope they're paying for return shipping. A lot of merchants, especially those that use drop shipping, try to push the costs off on the customer when something goes awry. A very popular auto parts merchant offers to split the shipping losses when the error is the manufacturer's, rather than theirs or the customers. And most customers just pay it. It isn't the customer's responsibility to do so though and the merchant knows they'll lose if a chargeback is filed. They're just playing the odds.