CarPlay for 3rd Gen 2012 Expy EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerplay

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

Does anyone know if CarPlay can be added to 2012 Expy EL ? My 3rd Gen Sync won’t discover any iPhone 8 applications. Finding a way to add CarPlay should resolve IOS apps options?

Thank you for any information.
Brian

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. The only way to add CarPlay is to install an aftermarket head unit, which will also require a Maestro RR or similar interface so it can talk to the CANBUS system and keep your steering wheel controls.

Have you updated to the latest Sync firmware? You should be on version 4.6.

marlinpruett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed a Kenwood unit in my 2007 with steering wheel controls By Crutctfield.
A very easy install and they provided excellent support.
They made all the harnesses up so it was a plug and play. Harnesses were $24.00 if I remember correctly.Very nice unit ,excellent Gps and 3 travel programs.
IMG-5639.jpg

IMG-0258.jpg

FORD-EXPY

Reaction score
Here is an install on a 2011 Expedition EL Limited. I used an iDatalink Maestro harness for easy install, I also get some gauge readings...like coolant temp as well as individual tire pressure. It tied into the factory amp, GPS antenna and rear camera. Some of those required additional adapters, but pretty simple.

View media item 6984View media item 6983Expedition Install 2.JPG Expedition Install 1.jpg

Reaction score
Here is an install on a 2011 Expedition EL Limited. I used an iDatalink Maestro harness for easy install, I also get some gauge readings...like coolant temp as well as individual tire pressure. It tied into the factory amp, GPS antenna and rear camera. Some of those required additional adapters, but pretty simple.

View media item 6984View media item 6983View attachment 33054 View attachment 33055

So glad I joined this forum I have just gained valuable information. I just returned my leased 2017 explorer, and purchased the 2013 Expedition there was no complaints with the sync3 system, but this 2013 system was a giant step back (so frustrated) I cannot wait to dismantle this factory system

Chris C

Reaction score

View media item 6984View media item 6983View attachment 33054 View attachment 33055

How did you handle the factor rear camera? Did you just put an RCA on the cable or were you able to find an adapter?

I'm looking to add a carplay head unit in my 2011 with Navi.