catalytic converter issue...again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firstford2021

Reaction score
So I have a 2020 Ford Expedition. Had a check engine light come on last year, diagnostics showed catalytic converter problem that Ford is very aware of. Unfortunately, they did not replace it, because Ford had just issued a statement that a new "fix" was some engine drive train test. It did "fix" it, but now the light just came on again today, on the way to emissions testing!!! No joke. Called dealer, yep, catalytic error again. They can get me in next week. I am hoping they replace it this time instead of another drive train fix. It is now at 66,000. Anyone else going on round 2 of getting the error. This is our first Ford - so frustrating.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cat's failures can also be caused by coolant or oil in the exhaust that fouls the Cat, so be sure that there isn't another root cause.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
O2 Sensor issue...We hadn't been driving the Expedition much when we had a PO133 code pop up back in February. Emailed a picture of the scanner readout to my usual service rep but he never replied. Then, about a week later, the check engine light went away and now it only exists on the Ford Pass app.

3rd Expyowner123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2018 had CEL illuminated for first time, received Ford Pass notice of warning. After filling up the next time and driving a little the warning light went off and has never came back on.

bwhite8889

Reaction score
Could always try Scotty Kilmer’s advice and pour a gallon of lacquer thinner in the gas tank…

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Federal Emissions warranty covers cats and several other emissions parts for 8 years and or 80,000 miles regardless of Warranty coverage so I wouldn’t mess with it and take it to the dealer. My bank 2 cat failed at 72k and was covered for a P430 cat efficiency code.

bwhite8889

Reaction score
The Federal Emissions warranty covers cats and several other emissions parts for 8 years and or 80,000 miles regardless of Warranty coverage so I wouldn’t mess with it and take it to the dealer. My bank 2 cat failed at 72k and was covered for a P430 cat efficiency code.
How’d you get Ford to budge on this? They are playing hard ball to cover my cat that went out at 79,000 miles. Now that I’m at 81,000 (even though it was replaced), it’s getting even more difficult.

I had a rep tell me yesterday that it varies by state and I go, “Do you not understand what the word ‘Federal’ means?”

He didn’t like that.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Theres no such thing as a "federal" emissions warranty.

bwhite8889

Reaction score
Theres no such thing as a "federal" emissions warranty.
I am not trying to be facetious here, but who does the below document apply to then? Pulling a quote directly from the document:
“Manufacturers have been required by federal law to
provide emission control coverage for vehicles since 1972…Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles (whichever first occurs).”

Further in the document it details that catalytic converters fall under the “major emission control components” category. Also the only qualifiers are that a state first require the component functioning to pass emissions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65