catch can benefit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
apparently i asked this in the wrong place and I offended the generation police nazis.

what is the effect of a catch can on longevity? how many miles more will my engine last? does it help the motor last twice as long, or what? has anyone done any real world checking?

looking for a metric, not a generality.

David E

Reaction score
How much oil could a oil catch can catch if an oil catch can could catch oil?
The long story short -- It catches oil! Not a bad idea when it come to preventing possible buildup in the crankcase. (Intake Valves, Pistons)
Helps in the prevention of knocks and pre-ignitions as well.
Now all that said one must make sure not to buy cheap !!! cheap ones have no proper "filtration" and really do nothing (just a straight line through) and this is a maintenance item since it has to be drained routinely. I doubt it makes any motor last twice as long but the benefits are pretty solid and it is a great extra measure that is simple and DIY for most.
On the EcoBoost engines there is higher pressure on the intake side of the piston combined with low friction rings makes a much higher blow-by thus making this a pretty essential choice to add in-order to prevent damage (especially with injectors inside the chamber).
There are some great videos on YouTube by people much wiser who explain in much more details. Good luck.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen the videos. nobody will tell you how many more miles it has shown in actual real world tests.
i get that it catches oil. I do not dispute that.
what is the actual, measurable benefit to my motor? it's a simple question, that nobody actually answers. makes me skeptical.
actually, by now, I'm convinced it is just ********. I said above that nobody answers the question and that makes me skeptical.

actually, considering the extent of the tap dancing, strawman responses, and personal attacks, not only do I believe it is ********, but these asshats know it is ********. I assume they are paid by catch can vendors.

don't like that? answer the question, admit you don't know, or just shut the **** up.

Last edited:

David E

Reaction score
WOW.. Obviously you have some reading comprehension issues. There is a clear and proven benefit to the catch-can. Now about those anger issues I would recommend seeking help, its really not good for your blood pressure and other issues may arise as a result. Now I am also pretty certain that you did not see enough/any relevant videos. There is an engineer that covers these pretty extensively ad also refers to a research done that proves the benefit of such a system and its relevance (especially to GDI engines). So now with no further tap dancing, strawmen responses, and personal attacks (mainly coming from your side) you keep believing that this is a bunch of bolony and keep on driving.
In full disclosure I am paid for and sponsored by the Qanon group LLC. (Just please keep that between us)
Cheers ...

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've seen the videos. nobody will tell you how many more miles it has shown in actual real world tests.
what is the actual, measurable benefit to my motor? it's a simple question, that nobody actually answers. makes me skeptical.
actually, by now, I'm convinced it is just ********. I said above that nobody answers the question and that makes me skeptical.

actually, considering the extent of the tap dancing, strawman responses, and personal attacks, not only do I believe it is ********, but these asshats know it is ********. I assume they are paid by catch can vendors.

don't like that? answer the question, admit you don't know, or just shut the **** up.

I can't definitively answer your question but let me explain why. I don't think you can quantify the benefits unless you have enough people who can take part in a real world test and also have a control group who don't use a catch can. There are too many variables to give you an answer. Search online for technical articles about direct injection engines and I think you will conclude that it will benefit you. I too was skeptical but after educating myself I installed one. There are some engines now that are direct injection and also have port fuel injection and they are programmed to switch to the port injection at certain intervals to wash the oil off the intake valves. Also look up catch can comparisons and you will see that they all work basically the same but range in price from $30 to several hundred dollars.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Ok here’s what I can offer you as cold hard facts.... I have retrieved 2 cups of oil from my catch can over the last 22,000 miles. That’s 2 cups of oil that I kept from being cooked on my valves, oil logging my intercooler, fouling my spark plugs, and possibly contributing to clogging my catalytic converters. As far as doubling the life of my engine,2DC17925-94E6-41EC-B6B4-EE698BCAFAFC.jpeg the jury is still out. Maybe there isn’t any benefit to engine longevity, but there sure is for performance, mileage, and maintenance. Clean plugs, intercooler, valves, and converters = performance and MPG’s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not been clear, i see.
I understand there is a potential benefit.
I want to know how beneficial it is. If i’m going to pay x dollars, i want to know how many miles of increased engine life i get.
That way i can determine whether it is a wise expenditure.
If it’s too hard to understand whether it is worth the money, then it is not worth the money.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Measurable benifit is minimal to no carbon build up in the back of your valves. This only is really applicable to direct injection engines, from a stock perspective.
In higher boost applications, think 18lbs and up, the benifits increase. But since you are asking the question here I suspect your not dealing with a 1000HP monster, which is why carbon build up is your answer.
To me, it was a $300 shot at NOT having to pay $1200 every 40K miles to clean carbon.
Almost 120K later, still no appreciable build up. Thanks Black Forrest!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
I have not been clear, i see.
I understand there is a potential benefit.
I want to know how beneficial it is. If i’m going to pay x dollars, i want to know how many miles of increased engine life i get.
That way i can determine whether it is a wise expenditure.
If it’s too hard to understand whether it is worth the money, then it is not worth the money.
As soon as you have to pay for carbon cleaning you'll get it. Just to be clear...
Good luck!

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
Ok here’s what I can offer you as cold hard facts.... I have retrieved 2 cups of oil from my catch can over the last 22,000 miles. That’s 2 cups of oil that I kept from being cooked on my valves, oil logging my intercooler, fouling my spark plugs, and possibly contributing to clogging my catalytic converters. As far as doubling the life of my engine,View attachment 40401 the jury is still out. Maybe there isn’t any benefit to engine longevity, but there sure is for performance, mileage, and maintenance. Clean plugs, intercooler, valves, and converters = performance and MPG’s.
Preach on!