Catch Can Contents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianDA

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger and purchased and installed the 2023 RXP Ultimate Catch Can. After about 2K miles I decided to drain them to see what I got. My Expedition makes latte's. What drained out of the large can was milky just like a Frappuccino. It's definitely oil and water. The stench was incredible of oil and gas (and something else I can't place my nose on it). I didn't get a drop out of the small can. I figured I'd leave a photo here and see what others get/got.IMG_7137.jpg

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It just occurred to me that folks using a catch can might be getting erroneous reports when getting the oil tested at a lab.

OP
OP
B

BrianDA

Reaction score
I read an article saying there could be viscosity errors in the reports because of the water and fuel mixed with the oil. I was concerned about the fuel smell, but more reading told me that's common. Makes sense since there is some blowby even with brand new engines.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mines looks like black coffee and watery. Smells like gas/oil mixture. I have a JLT catch can tho. Only collects from passenger bank

Last edited:

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I contacted RXP about not having anything in the small can (driver's side connection) and they said that's perfectly normal.
Then whats the point for spending the extra money for a can that collects on the driver side for then? lol

Big_O

Reaction score
In my 2016, JLT installed on passenger side only. The quantity and look of the collected fluid varies over the seasons. It seems in winter it collects more and is “milkier” and fills around 1k miles. In Summer iI is more oil-like, always with gas smell, and about 2k miles.

The Chairman

Reaction score
Speaking as a GT500 owner, a catch can should be mandatory on super or turbo charged engines:
1. You certainly don’t want that crud sucked back into the intake manifold. It will make a gummy mess. Eventually will gum up an intercooler.
2. That stuff lowers the effective octane rating potentially inducing damage or pulled timing.
3. Only need one on the passenger side. That’s where the vacuum occurs.
4. Should not ever have oil in a can on the drivers side unless there is something very wrong with your engine.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same as Big_O on my 17 Expy. Milky in the winter months and black/brownish in the summer. Always has a raw gasoline smell.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65