catch can benefit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you are ignoring the question: " want to know how many miles of increased engine life i get."
if you want to talk about "measurable benefits" you claim, please don't pretend you are responding to me.

FYI - I'm not spending any money now to "clean carbon". I've never spent a penny on that; every engine I've ever had went at least nearly 200k or better. "carbon buildup" was never a reason for moving on. come to think of it, the reasons for moving on were:
  1. moving up
  2. transmission
  3. accident
I've never had to do any mechanical work because of "carbon buildup".
so far, every single answer I've seen could have been written by pitchmen for catch can vendors. long on claims, scant on numbers.

MILES, guys. how many more miles will a catch can get me? if you don't answer that, please don't bother. I'm glad it makes you feel better about yourself.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
ROTFL - absolutely.

I honestly wish you the best and hope knowing everything won't stop you from asking here again.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joethefordguy

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ROTFL - absolutely.

I honestly wish you the best and hope knowing everything won't stop you from asking here again.

you are dishonest. the question has yet to be answered, so you cannot honestly claim I know everything. which catch can vendor do you work for? or are you just justifying the money you spent because I've made you realize you have no clue what you got for your money?

I honestly wish you the best and hope you feel better about your purchase, though it won't stop you from posting a snarky reply here again.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
you are dishonest. the question has yet to be answered, so you cannot honestly claim I know everything. which catch can vendor do you work for? or are you just justifying the money you spent because I've made you realize you have no clue what you got for your money?

I honestly wish you the best and hope you feel better about your purchase, though it won't stop you from posting a snarky reply here again.
I'm all good, no need to justify anything, just honestly trying to help with facts from my experience.
I'm sorry your butthurt, I simply replied to the tone presented after trying to help.
Good luck

Frank Swygert

Reaction score
As far as engine longevity the effects are probably negligible. Many people have logged over 200K miles without a catch can, and the engines will last 250-300K miles with regular maintenance. I've never had engine issues related to carbon build-up on anything other than very well worn (old style) engines that had been burning a good bit of oil for a long time. Two cups in 22,000 miles is normal oil use -- a little leaks past seals and rings no matter how good they are. I can see where it could reduce any carbon build-up, but the better benefit might be in emissions and helping the catalytic converter do it's job longer. Not much benefit there either. So IMHO, there is negligible benefit, at least not until there is very high mileage and wear on the engine, but it doesn't hurt anything either.

nick d vicari

Reaction score
Ok here’s what I can offer you as cold hard facts.... I have retrieved 2 cups of oil from my catch can over the last 22,000 miles. That’s 2 cups of oil that I kept from being cooked on my valves, oil logging my intercooler, fouling my spark plugs, and possibly contributing to clogging my catalytic converters. As far as doubling the life of my engine,View attachment 40401 the jury is still out. Maybe there isn’t any benefit to engine longevity, but there sure is for performance, mileage, and maintenance. Clean plugs, intercooler, valves, and converters = performance and MPG’s.

nick d vicari

Reaction score
I have the pricey catch can and cant belive how much oil it stops from going back into the engine. I have gone atleast 12,000 miles and have collected almost 3/4 cup of waste oil. I have done my research and belive in this fix.