CCD makes ride more comfortable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2018Expi

Reaction score
New to posting here but I have a 2018 Platinum Expedition Max which has the 22" rims and the CCD. 2000 miles on the rig and I am leaning towards not liking the CCD. In my opinion the rig bobs up and down most likely in an effort to dissipate the initial bump but I would prefer one big bump rather than a continuous wave of smaller aftershocks. My family members do not like riding in the middle seats and cargo in the back flies up in the air when going over most speed bumps. I am having 20" rims and more of an off road tire installed today to see if the ride improves and I trying to determining if I can disable the CCD. I plan to drive a non CCD 2018 Limited to see if the ride is the same. I test drove a non CCD Limited a lot more than the Platinum and don't remember the Limited bobbing up and down. So, in my humble opinion drive the CCD a lot before buying it. Ford forces you into the CCD and 22" rim package one way or another if you want the 360 degree camera which is what I wanted not the CCD and rims. Anyone have similar comments or do I maybe have suspension issues?

pwsiiiesq

Reaction score
So just clarify - the base limited no ccd but once you add 202a it has ccd. Also all platinum has ccd.

201a does not have ccd?

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
New to posting here but I have a 2018 Platinum Expedition Max which has the 22" rims and the CCD. 2000 miles on the rig and I am leaning towards not liking the CCD. In my opinion the rig bobs up and down most likely in an effort to dissipate the initial bump but I would prefer one big bump rather than a continuous wave of smaller aftershocks. My family members do not like riding in the middle seats and cargo in the back flies up in the air when going over most speed bumps. I am having 20" rims and more of an off road tire installed today to see if the ride improves and I trying to determining if I can disable the CCD. I plan to drive a non CCD 2018 Limited to see if the ride is the same. I test drove a non CCD Limited a lot more than the Platinum and don't remember the Limited bobbing up and down. So, in my humble opinion drive the CCD a lot before buying it. Ford forces you into the CCD and 22" rim package one way or another if you want the 360 degree camera which is what I wanted not the CCD and rims. Anyone have similar comments or do I maybe have suspension issues?

Take the speed bumps faster, your stuff won’t fly up. [emoji6]

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ltd 302 and plat have ccd. 202 is an xlt pkg that has base suspension. Ltd 300 and 301 have base dampers

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those wondering what CCD is.

Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD):
CCD works by analyzing multiple signals collected from 12 high-resolution sensors, and adjusts dampers every two milliseconds for the best vehicle response in every situation. When the edge of a pothole is detected, in a fraction of a second the vehicle’s computer adjusts the dampers to their stiffest setting and prevents the wheel from falling as far into the pothole. The rear suspension can respond even faster, with a signal from the front wheel providing a pre-warning to the rear wheel, well before it reaches the pothole. When the tire and wheel don’t drop as far into the pothole, they don’t strike the opposite side of the pothole as harshly, which results in a much smoother ride than what you'd experience with a standard suspension.

https://corporate.ford.com/innovation/solving-the-bumpy-commute.html

@Yukon Joe

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey raphy, were you able to drive both versions?

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those wondering what CCD is.

Continuously Controlled Damping (CCD):
CCD works by analyzing multiple signals collected from 12 high-resolution sensors, and adjusts dampers every two milliseconds for the best vehicle response in every situation. When the edge of a pothole is detected, in a fraction of a second the vehicle’s computer adjusts the dampers to their stiffest setting and prevents the wheel from falling as far into the pothole. The rear suspension can respond even faster, with a signal from the front wheel providing a pre-warning to the rear wheel, well before it reaches the pothole. When the tire and wheel don’t drop as far into the pothole, they don’t strike the opposite side of the pothole as harshly, which results in a much smoother ride than what you'd experience with a standard suspension.

https://corporate.ford.com/innovation/solving-the-bumpy-commute.html

@Yukon Joe

It’s great technology but the devil lies in the execution. GM has the same technology, they call it Magnetic Ride Control. However GM has done a poor job in implementing this technology on their full size SUVs as “harsh ride” and “how do I delete MRC” are one of the most talked about issues. Ford’s implementation, CCD real shines. They did a great job executing CCD technology in their full size SUVs. Most people claim CCD really works at smoothing out the ride. I think the only complaints I’ve heard is it’s too smooth and possibly bouncy at times. But would love to hear more experiences from this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yukon Joe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s great technology but the devil lies in the execution. GM has the same technology, they call it Magnetic Ride Control. However GM has done a poor job in implementing this technology on their full size SUVs as “harsh ride” and “how do I delete MRC” are one of the most talked about issues. Ford’s implementation, CCD real shines. They did a great job executing CCD technology in their full size SUVs. Most people claim CCD really works at smoothing out the ride. I think the only complaints I’ve heard is it’s too smooth and possibly bouncy at times. But would love to hear more experiences from this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, I'm in a cheap xlt... with FX4, so all I got is stiffer springs, lol. It does sit about 1/2" higher over the limited I did the 24 hour test drive on.

Both drive extremely smooth even compared to the Raptor. B I wasn't looking for any difference, so I really didn't feel any difference with my but-o-meter between the limited, which I assume had CCD and my FX4

@Yukon Joe

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With CCD, just realize that those shocks won't last forever. When they do need to be replaced, it will not be a cheap fix. Cost of ownership is much much higher if you plan to keep the vehicle more than 50,000 miles.