CEL goes off without fixing the problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuctionExp

Reaction score
So I've got a '97 Ford Expedition (5.4L EB, 4wd) and the check engine light has been on because of a bad cat converter for quite a bit, and then just yesterday it turns itself off?

I shut off and re-started the vehicle to make sure the check engine bulb was not burnt out (it was not).

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm going to connect and pull codes tonight and will post if anything is present.

B

bedrck46

Get the codes and post them will be able to provide better answers rather then making guesses at this point

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could possibly be that the cats are not totally gone and the parameters were right for the light to go out. It still may have reduced performance but the code was allowed to expire

Snapshot

Reaction score
I agree with the previous post, I'm had a similar issue before. My expy started to slightly misfire once on the interstate when I was heading home. I was only a few miles from the exit so I drove it home. The CEL stayed on the entire time I was driving. I turned it off and back on and no light even though it blinked while coming on. I had to drive it about 30 miles with it running like crap for it to come back on so I could get a code pulled. I wish you the best of luck!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm guessing conditions were just right and the downstream o2 got a good reading for once. See if it stays off when the weather changes. The computer stores the codes even after the light goes out so unless you unplugged the battery, they should still be there.

OP
OP
AuctionExp

AuctionExp

Reaction score
So much for no CEL. It's back on. Code that is present is P0430, cat efficiency, Bank 2 (is Bank 2 the driver or passenger side?)

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine shut off about a day after I had some pretty serious misfires (CEL flashing its ass off and engine running terribly). I think if it goes so long without error the computer resets itself.

The problem may not go away it just doesn't detect anything.

hendricksen11

Reaction score
Oh
My mechanic told me 1357 were passenger side and 2468 were drivers.. good to know, and now knowing that, that means he didn't replace the right coil pack, but at least all the plugs were changed..