Cel p0022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moondog

Reaction score
I just had the P0022 code and had the VCT Solenoid replaced accordingly. The truck still has the same problem with shudder and rattling it had before. It only seems to show up when engine is warmed up and mainly in reverse more than in drive. CEL came back on with same code, would unplugging VCTs disable system and make it run smoother? Not sure what else to do.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From the 06 service manual

P0022 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
Description: See the description for DTC P0012.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0012.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0012.

P0012 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the variable camshaft timing (VCT) position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.
Possible Causes: Camshaft timing improperly set
Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
VCT solenoid valve stuck open
Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit)

Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is a functional check of the VCT unit. Diagnose any base engine concerns related to the engine oil pressure or engine timing. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-00, Engine System.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Right now it seems that the camshaft is retarded, so unplugging won't bring it back into time. To function "normally" the system needs to work, not be disabled. If I remember correctly the solenoids are troublesome on these engines around 60-70,000 miles.
Probably a maintenance item to change at that interval or install the kits to delete them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moondog

Reaction score
I installed the solenoid on that bank and still runs rough once engine warms up and code came back on. I didn't know there was a kit to disable them.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do a google search for the delete kit, a few come up, don't know how well they work. I just remember reading about others deleting them.

Since you have a new solenoid the next thing to look at would be the advance mechanism or the electrical harness.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a question as I have seen this many times on the forum The DTC says bank 2 which side did you change Passenger side or drivers side

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420