Changed battery now runs rough and hesitates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the idle relearn process using this site and it didn't help. I actually disconnected the battery and tried it again and there is still rough idle and hesitation. When I get to 50mph. there is a really rough shake for a few mph after 50 then goes away and will come back after letting off the throttle and reapplying the throttle.

There's a few things that I maybe helped contribute to the problem:
1. the battery cables had a lot of acid buildup, so I cleaned them and dumped water over the area to wash off the cleaner. Maybe a connector got wet? I sprayed some wd40 on a few connectors last night,
2. Placing the new battery on thee tray, I sat it on something and pulled it out (okay yanked it out). I didn't notice what it was but the only thing that is loose around there was the vacuum hose that goes to (that thing on top of the three way split coolant hose that goes to the firewall)________?

Sound familiar to anyone at all?

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 1990 F150 (I know much older) but every time I changed the battery, or disconnected the battery for some type of work, it would take that truck 2 or 3 days (back and forth to work) to "relearn" how to run smooth.

My brother bought it new in 1990 and told me it had always been that way.

Reaction score
I didn't notice what it was but the only thing that is loose around there was the vacuum hose that goes to (that thing on top of the three way split coolant hose that goes to the firewall)________?

Sound familiar to anyone at all?

You’re referring to the heater control valve. Did you reinstall vacuum line?

Plati

Reaction score
You dont say what engine you have. Doubt its the battery. I've changed batteries several times in my 2003 5.4L. Love the story about sitting on something and yanking something out! The water story is good also! Was it a 5 gallon bucket?

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You dont say what engine you have. Doubt its the battery. I've changed batteries several times in my 2003 5.4L. Love the story about sitting on something and yanking something out! The water story is good also! Was it a 5 gallon bucket?
It's a 5.4 (in my sig ;) ). just a 16oz bottle of water.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the check engine light finally came on, codes are on the attached picture. So should I try the COP by switching it with another?

Screenshot_20200403-154402_Torque.jpg