Changing out the bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is for an 03 Expy.

1) Pop the hood.

2) Take off the top two screws on top of the headlights. They look like this:
HeadlightBolt.jpg

3) Loosen the screw in the back of the headlight. I think it's supposed to be an alignment screw, but it's never really worked for me. Here it is:
Behindbolt.jpg

4) Pull out the headlight assembly. You might have a little bit of trouble since it might catch. In my case, it caught on the side near the grille. You might have to jiggle it around a bit.
Stuck.jpg

5) Take off the little round, rubber cap in the back. The bulbs are behind there (low in left, high in right.)
Backheadlight.jpg

6) Unplug the plug that goes into the bulb. I think in this view, you turn the bulb counter clock-wise, and pull the bulb straight out. Here's a shot of it:
backbulb.jpg

7) Connect the plug into the new bulb, and put it in carefully back in, lining it up with the notches. Turn the opposite way you did to take it off.

8) Put the rubber caps back on, making sure to seal it nice and tight.

9) Put the headlight assembly back in place. Might have to jiggle it around a bit.

10) Tighten the screw in the back, as well as putting in the top two screws.

-----------------------------------------------------

I did this because I bought some Silver Star Ultras on sale at Advanced Auto. I figured my year old Silver Stars in the lows might be close to their "expiration date" so this was more of a preventative measure.

Here's a pic of a year old Silverstar:
OldSS.jpg
Seems the filament was starting to burn?

Here's a picture of the new Ultras:
NewSSU.jpg

jlw0211

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up, my limited housing should be here in a couple of days.

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In your case, I think you would just have to unplug the two harnesses/plugs barely visible on the left side of the 4th picture down(I think top is headlights, bottom is corner/blinker light), then just plug them into the new housing (I think those were the only two wires bundles I saw in the back)?

Also, if the new housing doesn't have them (I doubt it will), take the bulbs out of the existing housing and put them in the new one.

Last edited: