Changing sparkplugs on my 16 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y2KFirehawk

Reaction score
Ford says 100k normal use or 60k severe duty. Looks like most won’t get past 70k without them causing misfires even if you drive lightly. Do you have a Firehawk (awesome car)?
Thanks! Indeed I do; 2000 Trans Am Firehawk #62. Second owner for 18 years and counting.
I change mine every other oil change so about 15kish miles bc they are cheap and easy to replace. Ecoboosts love to eat plug gaps, especially tuned ones. I have had both but still change at that interval
Thanks! This is the vibe I'm picking up from this thread. Have ~50K on our 2016 and will add this on my list to do. Nice that I won't have to take the entire intake manifold off like I had to for my 2011 MKZ with the 3.5L

ranger10

Reaction score
I changed the plugs on my 16' EL at about 76k miles. It was a pretty easy job. Get plugs from a ford dealer and save the shop fee doing it yourself.

princered72

Reaction score
Changed mine on my 14 Limited. I am glad I was told to use air hose to blow out around plug before removing. Loads of dirt in the head around the plug and coil pack.

Old Guy

Reaction score
Buy the plugs at a dealer. Here's why. When ANY part is manufactured, there is a possibility of some being defective. Aftermarket places like Discount auto parts, O Reilly's etc., buy in bulk and the parts go from manufacturer to distributor to store to customer, in unopened boxes. To a car manufacturer who uses these parts in their own service shops and for initial installation, it's at least embarrassing when a new part does not work, but they have to pay their tech to replace it. So, at the place of the distributorship, a lot-sample side is taken, and the parts are tested. If they have a failure, the whole lot is returned, and the parts manufacturer will find out why it failed and correct the problems. The parts company will pretest the lots before shipping, as they do not want to piss off a big customer. The first job I had was for a manufacturer of two-way radios, and I supervised and tested parts going into the radios. You would be surprised how many lots went back to the parts manufacturers, and they worked with us to improve their quality.
Have I ever had a bad spark plug? Yes, and it was NGK plug. This was from local aftermarket parts houses.

OP
OP
T

tacoduck

Reaction score
I bought my plugs from advance auto, and they were in pristine motor craft boxes. I doubt they are any different from what I would get at the dealership. Here are my old plugs, looks like I made the right call to replace.

Attachments

• 6016F566-D4AE-4073-8A02-F8AE27EA6066.jpeg
    6016F566-D4AE-4073-8A02-F8AE27EA6066.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 17