Charging / battery issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lithiatwats

Reaction score
So I just took my battery out to change the air suspension compressor and now the batt light is on and "check charging system" present. Fail to believe my alternator or battery has died whilst doing this so any ideas...?

2004 5.4l v8 eb

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the positive battery cable for cleanliness and tight connection. If the factory terminal has been replaced with the clamp on specials, make sure you have good contact there also.

Check the negative cable also while your there.

OP
OP
L

Lithiatwats

Reaction score
Thanks. I have tried to check the obvious. Having had the battery physically out the car to gain excess I have reconnected both terminals and cleaned them. The positive is some weird affair where you can't tighten it but is appears snug. Negative is fine. Car starts fine and voltage gage shows mid position - just have the check charging system message and battery light.

Batt is from nov 2010

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a small gauge wire that connects the voltage regulator to the battery, it monitors the battery voltage. When it gets to a preset voltage it will signal the VR to turn on or off.

Since your light is on it is saying that the battery isn't being charged by the alternator, although the gauge is indicating it is.

If you have a DMM your charging voltage should be around 13.8-14.5 volts depending on the quality of connections, brand of alternator etc. I would check to see which one is in error and go from there.

OP
OP
L

Lithiatwats

Reaction score
Thanks stamp,

Is it possible I hce damaged this wire from VR working in batt /washer fluid area? Will put DMM on it and let you know

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would expect a so-so connection that you disturbed when you removed the battery cables, now it is a really bad connection or no connection at all.

If you could post a pic of the positive terminal that can't be tightened, it may help. Wondering if this is another wonderful idea that they have come up with.

Last edited: