Chasing a vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, stock. I suppose if I went cheap they'd be that much. I've had my fill of cheap tires. I'm at Costco now getting them put in Michelin defenders. I dunno...maybe I am paying too much. Grand total was $920

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I got $104 /ea Michelins on my Navigator

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Holy crap. Just got home after getting the new tires on. All problems solved and then some. Sooo much smoother and even quieter. I think the tires that were on it were a fleet tire and really stiff. I'm still really surprised that was the problem. You'd think a tire related problem would be there all the time and not intermittent like it was. My theory is that it was a cumulative affect. One or more tire would get things vibrating and and it would build and build until some sort of equilibrium was reached and it would smooth out. I suppose temps could have been a factor, too.... something would start to warp as they heated up or cooled down

Thanks for the ideas from everyone that chimed in

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Thats good news. I may have to have my tires checked because I have the same but tires still look pretty new and only 2 years old. Might give me a reason to jam some 35's in there

Plati

Reaction score
I had something like that (different speed) on an earlier Expy I owned. Luckily it was during warranty period. Took it in and they kept replacing and rebuilding drivetrain parts (3 visits) until fixed. Don't remember What it was but it was beyond the transmission. It started around 35k

Oops just read it was tires. Nice!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Thats good news. I may have to have my tires checked because I have the same but tires still look pretty new and only 2 years old. Might give me a reason to jam some 35's in there
Yeah, the tires I replaced still look good visually. I'll bet there's still 50% tread left. It's why I kept throwing money at other parts... I just could bring myself to believe it was the tires. I kept them and I'm going to see if I can sell them to someone who doesn't mind a rougher ride

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's a great price. Even going cheap, I don't see anything much less than ~$170 for a set of michelins where I live, and that's before installation

Walmart website, mail order. Some kinda clearance, but they had a whole bunch of brands.

Some slightly pricier stuff also seen on Amazon.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See if you had a tech that knew what he was looking for, would have seen the off kilter belt, or what was not right with the tires. But alas 90 percent of the times they put kids tire busting due to cost, and these issues get passed by. Now if you had a set of winter wheels to throw on, like our friends in mid west/ east coast, it could be resolved easier. Now you know why I suggested putting your spare/spares on!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Interesting update - This weekend, I drove ~750 miles. During the first 500 or so, there was much rejoicing at the newly found smooth ride. However, towards the end I started to notice a very subtle version of the intermittent vibration I was feeling before. The intervals when it would come in was much greater and the intensity of the vibration was much lower, but still...it was there.

I now have a new theory: The last shop I had the vehicle at said that the struts were getting worn, but they also were hesitant to say it was the cause of my vibration. I think the wearing struts are allowing the tires to bounce and/or wear in such a way that, when the conditions are right, causes the vibration I am feeling. The main problem with this theory is I don't see any sort of cupping or other wear pattern on the tires I just took off, but it may just be that I'm not very good at spotting it and/or it is very subtle. If there is wear (even subtle) combined with worn struts, it may add up to what I am feeling - so back to the cumulative effect of a few things like I was saying in one of my previous comments. If, as moose said, the guys throwing tires are just rushing through their job and aren't experienced enough to know what to look for, there could have been something going on with those old tires that is now being caused on the new tires. So, I'm ordering new struts asap. If this is indeed my problem, I don't want to bork a brand new set of tires.

Looking on rock auto, a set of monroes isn't too outrageous - is that probably the brand to go with?

Last edited:

Alex Harrison

Reaction score
I have a shake on my 07 EL that I can't get rid of... Starts around 65 and gets faster as I increase speed. It's almost scary how badly it sakes. I have replaced the entire front end (suspension, ball joints, upper control arms, tie rods, sway bar links, brakes are new (calipers and pads), body mounts are new, tires are almost new, They are goodyear Eagles. Also if I hit a bump at highways speeds, it feels like the entire front end is not tight to to the truck... it sends a chatter through the whole vehicle. Is it possible, that the new suspension I put on the front is defective? The shop who put the tires on has balanced them twice... They told me to go to a specialty shop, who had it for 2 days and couldn't figure out why it shakes either. I'm a total loss and it's driving me nuts. Transmission was rebuilt 15k miles ago ... Truck has 192,000 miles on it. I love it and drive it 30,000 miles a year and I have to figure this out soon or I'm gonna have to get a different vehicle.

TwinJugs

Reaction score
Have you found a resolution? I have the same 07 EL with the same problem. My local ex-GM factory engineer eluded to a drive shaft or drive shaft bearing issue once he new I have new tires that are properly balanced. Issue was also present prior to the new tires.

Does your shake come and go or is it static, all the time?

Absolutely frustrating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65