Chasing a vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I haven't checked that. This is the first I have heard of it. With that, wouldn't I also expect a constant vibration?
Its a very common thing on the F150 and most notice it at 50-60 mph. Do a quick google search and see how many you find. I just looked and theres a bunch

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Its a very common thing on the F150 and most notice it at 50-60 mph. Do a quick google search and see how many you find. I just looked and theres a bunch
Hmm.... The vibration I get is most noticeable at 75+

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Hmm.... The vibration I get is most noticeable at 75+

75+ huh? I may have the same. Tires balanced, new suspension bushings, ball joints, alignment and at 75+ it shakes. I never do 75+ so really haven't looked into it

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
75+ huh? I may have the same. Tires balanced, new suspension bushings, ball joints, alignment and at 75+ it shakes. I never do 75+ so really haven't looked into it
Yeah, it's there around 60, but it really gets noticeable the faster I go

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A set of tires should be more like 450-550

Are your wheels stock?

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
A set of tires should be more like 450-550

Are your wheels stock?
Yeah, stock. I suppose if I went cheap they'd be that much. I've had my fill of cheap tires. I'm at Costco now getting them put in Michelin defenders. I dunno...maybe I am paying too much. Grand total was $920

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Yeah, stock. I suppose if I went cheap they'd be that much. I've had my fill of cheap tires. I'm at Costco now getting them put in Michelin defenders. I dunno...maybe I am paying too much. Grand total was $920

$900 and change is the average around here. I'd say that price is fine

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires for $4-500 aren’t going to be any good let alone vibration free. Should be $9-1,100 for anything decent.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think balancing is your problem, but to play it safe does the a shop that did your balance have another shop to bring to, in case their machine is out of sync. Seen it happened to a friend here in Bay area. Can you borrow 2 wheels, actually 1, your spare, and another, put them both on front drive it. See what happens.
A drive shaft that's out of balance is like a bearing, it starts at around 40mph , just like a out of balance wheel, and gets worse as speed increases. Worn front end parts will usually not cause steering shake unless extremely worn. Tire tread/belt shift, or imbalance are first things to rule out. You mentioned the shop wanted to remove front drive shaft. Pull fuse #104 if 4 wheel drive is engaging, but that usually causes grinding not shaking. Were you four wheeling recently, that could have damaged front drive shaft?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Matticus

Matticus

Reaction score
Holy crap. Just got home after getting the new tires on. All problems solved and then some. Sooo much smoother and even quieter. I think the tires that were on it were a fleet tire and really stiff. I'm still really surprised that was the problem. You'd think a tire related problem would be there all the time and not intermittent like it was. My theory is that it was a cumulative affect. One or more tire would get things vibrating and and it would build and build until some sort of equilibrium was reached and it would smooth out. I suppose temps could have been a factor, too.... something would start to warp as they heated up or cooled down

Thanks for the ideas from everyone that chimed in

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65