"Check Brake System" and no codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StephanSloan

Reaction score
All-
I have a 2008 Expedition EL Limited with 185,--- miles. Yesterday the info system read "Check Brake System" with the Brake and ABS lights on and the stability control light (sliding car symbol) also displayed to the right of the Check Brake System readout.
Ford%20Check%20Brakes.jpg
I have a ScanGauge II that I checked to see if there were any codes but found none. The lights reset every shut down and reappear when the vehicle reaches about 10 miles an hour.
I found threads with a TSB on the stability control and on replacing the ABS module but am surprised there are no codes.
Is my ScanGauge missing the codes or is there a better way to diagnose?
Thank you,
Stephan

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like one of your ABS sensors is not playing nice with its associated ring gear. Does the ScanGauge pull the extended codes?

OP
OP
S

StephanSloan

Reaction score
Local AutoZone used their code reader and found B1342 which I believe indicates a new ABS Module.
I read that some people have installed these successfully and others claim that they need to be programmed by the dealership.
Does anyone know what indicates if the module needs to be programmed by a dealer?
Thank you,
Stephan

grdsman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello StephanSloan, did you ever get the issue resolved? just got the same message on my 2008 Expedition

I had this problem on an older Chevy pickup. I removed the ABS module, cracked it open and re-soldered all of the connections. No more lights. The vibration at the module causes the solder points to loosen up.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting timing. I had the Check Brake System warning come on last week, but without the ABS light.

@grdsman With the ABS light I would suspect one of the wheel sensors.

In my case, without that light I figured it was a leak or low fluid. Dry at all 4 calipers and fluid level was fine, though it was dark. The fluid is fresh from a year or two back when I replaced the flex lines and flushed the entire system, so I suspect the master cylinder gaskets are breaking down.

I'll be installing a new MC this coming weekend, weather permitting, and will flush the system again. Hopefully that clears up my specific issue. As for yours, it's likely an easy fix with a cheap part at one of the wheels.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
100% an ABS issue.

You need a scan tool with ABS/SRS capability to read code. Most will also be able to pinpoint the bad sensor by driving the truck with live data enabled (as in : reading each wheel speed while driving... the one that binds up in the readout has a bad sensor).

JohnnyRed

Reaction score
I have the “check brake system” light coming on every now and then. No other lights or codes. I have checked the fluid and all good. Brakes work fine and there is no pattern as to when it comes on. I was thinking the fluid level sensor at the MC but not sure. Any other ideas?