Check charging system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is for a 03 exp. 4.6 I'm getting a "check charging system". It killed my battery. So bought a new one and it drained that one. While driving I saw that the message kept going off and on. So has to be a loose connection. Where can I look?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How long have you had the Expy ? Has the alternator recently been replaced ? Unless you have factory Navigation package it should be the 110 amp alternator. If you try using anything else you will get the check charge error messages. Other than that, what is the voltage across the battery with the engine idling?

Lee_H

Reaction score
Check loose ground wires, I had one that was loose on an 1971 RUSTang. It caused all sorts of trouble. Doesn't hurt to run an extra wire from the alt. to the frame and see if any differences happen.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
How long have you had the Expy ? Has the alternator recently been replaced ? Unless you have factory Navigation package it should be the 110 amp alternator. If you try using anything else you will get the check charge error messages. Other than that, what is the voltage across the battery with the engine idling?

I had it for 5 years. I didn't get a reading. I just replaced the battery. I just recently changed the alternator four days ago. Now the message is popping up again.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
How many ground wires are there. I checked one on the right side. I'm sure there's more

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had it for 5 years. I didn't get a reading. I just replaced the battery. I just recently changed the alternator four days ago. Now the message is popping up again.
Then this is likely your problem. Like @Hamfisted said it's the wrong size alternator.

Did your truck come with navigation?
What was the part number for the alternator you got?

BlackCoffee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you check the voltage coming out of the new alternator? Also, check the tensioner and serpentine belt to make sure it is not slipping. Does it occur during a turn a turn or when the A/C kicks on? If you belt tension is down, the additional load may cause the belt to slip.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
Then this is likely your problem. Like @Hamfisted said it's the wrong size alternator.

Did your truck come with navigation?
What was the part number for the alternator you got?
I'm not sure about the navigation. The alternator looked exactly as the old one. And unfortunately iam stranded right now. The message stayed on and the battery is completely dead.