Checking Spark Plug gap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jozef Zoldos

Reaction score
I am changing plugs and got a new set of Motorcraft SP-509 as recommended. Many people say "check the gap" before you put plugs in. I have never done that before. Is this a necessary step if the plugs are brand new?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am changing plugs and got a new set of Motorcraft SP-509 as recommended. Many people say "check the gap" before you put plugs in. I have never done that before. Is this a necessary step if the plugs are brand new?

I own a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4, and have changed the original spark plugs with new Motorcraft spark plugs (don’t remember the number).

GM (not Ford that I’m aware of) has issued a TSB stating not to adjust the gap on spark plugs that have an iridium tip coating - as the coating can be damaged.

I believe the SP-509 plugs have the iridium coating, so I would not adjust the gap.

You can buy a spark plug gap gauge at most auto parts stores - to check the gap prior to installation. GM’s TSB states to not use an iridium plug with an improper gap.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're careful, it can be adjusted without "damaging" anything. Just don't push the gapping tool against the center electrode with any amount of force when checking the gap.

I replaced mine with Champion iridium plugs about a month or so ago and had to adjust each one. Since they are meant for many vehicles, they came pregapped at 0.041, whereas I needed 0.054 (quite a difference).

I gapped the plugs, installed them and the truck runs great. By the way, the safest tool to check gap is this wire type, which is what I bought & used :

81P4hKpwfOL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited: