Cheep struts!!! Motorcraft. Rockauto

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look the same as the factory ones it came with. And it rides perfect.

I'm interested just to get a fresh set of springs all around. I imagine there's a little sag after 18 years. Did you notice any difference in ride height? Or did you install the spacers with the new struts and can't tell?

OP
OP
mbtech2003

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm interested just to get a fresh set of springs all around. I imagine there's a little sag after 18 years. Did you notice any difference in ride height? Or did you install the spacers with the new struts and can't tell?
Swapped over the lift spacers from the old struts. Same height as originals

OP
OP
mbtech2003

mbtech2003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. Guess I won't bother with it then.
By same height as originals. Mine is lifted. If you put these In. You may notice a small difference. Maybe 1/4 inch half inch tops. Mine is lifted 3”. So. I won’t see it.

Broncoholic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
By same height as originals. Mine is lifted. If you put these In. You may notice a small difference. Maybe 1/4 inch half inch tops. Mine is lifted 3”. So. I won’t see it.
Mine is lifted too with Daystar lift. It's not off-roaded or used for towing, so I wouldn't expect much sag in my springs, but after 18 years I wonder. I remember when my dad put new springs on his '83 Camaro after about 15 years, it raised almost an inch! But spring technology/quality has improved a lot since then.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't put a set of Motorcraft shocks/struts on my truck again unless I was selling it really, really soon. They go as quickly as a first BJ.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a set just to see what they were. The wholesaler that ground off "some" of the part numbers went to a lot of work to do this for some unknown reason. Maybe they were part of a tractor trailer heist or something. Who knows. But the manufacturers label under the fake Motorcraft label is Monroe Quick Struts 171369 and 171370. I have KYB's on mine right now, so I'm holding off on installing them. The issue with the KYB's is the springs. They're softer and collapse almost to the point of binding with the weight of the Expy's front end. There's very little travel available before the springs compress completely and you get a knock. The rears are Ok, no issues. Just the fronts. The KYB's do have a larger oil/gas reservoir over the Monroes. But the Monroes copy the factory builds, so they must be good enough. We will see when the motivation hits me to do the swap out.

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those motorcraft struts I bought awhile back...I'll look at them to see if they're like yours...monroe crap under a label. I'll let ya know.

I ended up finding two spring seats, and so sent have returned the fronts, the rears I still have, sans seats. I'll open one up again and see if the label covers up a cheap brand ;)