Clock spring issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First, I did the search, found very few threads on the topic, there were some, but none in great detail...

2nd, I did my usual youtube search for videos... Again not a great deal of info on there for expeditions. Plenty of other vehicles though.

And finally here's my question....

It looks like to change this clockspring, I will have to remove the steering wheel and the airbag. Then it's right there. Is there anything that may pop up when I am doing this repair? Any kind of preventive maintenance I could do while I am in there?

I will say that I got bit by the ford dealership, I had to take it to them for the diagnostics... 90 bucks there... They wanted to charge me 350 bucks to fix it... Screw that! I just paid 98 bucks to have it shipped to me 2nd day air.. So for 190 bucks I will do what ford wanted to charge 350 for....

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you are going in for the clock spring I would change the contacts while your there if they are the old "brass" type.
We consider the contacts and the clock spring as an assembly when they need changing on our buses.

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance... But what do you mean brass contacts? I assumed that the clock spring was a complete unit, take a couple screws out and replace.. Put back together and be done... What and where are these brass contacts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll post a few pics on what is used on the buses tomorrow. Should be similar to what is inside the steering column.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The pic is of a horn ring and one contact. I would assume that there is something similar for what Ford refers to as the "sliding contact". I would expect thinner rings, more of them and possibly on both sides of the ring. I would expect it to require removal of the steering wheel to gain access. Be very careful when working around the airbag since it is a "bomb".

Attachments

• Horn Ring.jpg
    Horn Ring.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks... I will take some pictures this weekend and post them... There is not alot of info that I have found, hopefully I will be able to help some one else.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are different variations on them. The most common is a circular wound spring that expands or contracts depending on how it is twisted. Google for pics.