Andersen WDH + Coil SumoSprings Helper Springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamNeedsInfo

Reaction score
How do I know if my Andersen WDH was setup properly? My 2019 Expy Max, with HD tow, is pulling an Apex 256BHS (5720lb dry weight). Have been to the CAT scales multiple times. Fully loaded, I'm within all the Ford specs for towing, payload, tongue, GVWR, etc. Granted, I am near the max on some of them. It pulls fine and stops fine. But I can't seem to get rid of the rear squat! Either the rear drops 2" or I have a 2" difference in wheel well heights, I can't remember right now exactly. But they are normally even when not towing and I don't like it so uneven and I'm sure that isn't great for the suspension. I'm already showing 10 threads on the Andersen. I think most people only show about 4-5 threads. The dealer installed it, but everything looks correct to me. Maybe it's just a limitation of the Andersen? I've also seen a lot of people simply put in a couple of sumo spring helpers for this type of issue. Would that be a better or at least suitable solution?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't worry as much about the squat as the tongue weight and front axle weight restoration. You should have 10% to 15% of the camper weight on the tongue. If the front rises 1 inch when the camper is hooked up you should get half of that back when the Andersen is set up. If not, you're not pushing enough weight back to the front axle. Check the hitch instructions for how to maximize the weight distribution. On many WDHs the hitch head is angled downwards to increase redistribute, but I don't have an Andersen so I'm not precisely sure how it works with that hitch. It's not a Super duty. Some squat is inevitable to ensure the suspension is compliant when unloaded.

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if you're already doing this, but after hitching up and locking the pawl onto the ball, I crank the tongue up as far as I can. At this point I tighten the Andersen chains until I have about 7-8 threads showing...at any rate...tight! I used to tighten the chains right after dropping the tongue on the ball. I've found this reduces the amount of "squat." But JasonH is right...tongue weight is important.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
5,720lb dry weight? What's that other than useless fiction? :) It weighed more than that when you pulled it off the dealer's lot.

Often difficult to keep the trailer below GVWR (the legal maximum weight) but use it as your planning number. 7,600 pounds and as just noted you need a minimum of 760 pounds on the ball (10%). You might need 15% (1140) but that would exceed the Expedition's capability.

The receiver on the back bumper of all my Ford SUVs is sloppy vertically so you'll need more weight distribution cranked in than with trucks with tighter receivers. I've been using the Equalizer since 2005 (same one) and this uses low tech washer-spacers to set the hitch angle and I have the maximum number that will fit.

Like Jason wrote you need to put back at least half the lift that occurred to the front suspension -- where the wheels that steer the rig are.

-- Chuck

reklaw

Reaction score
I'm not sure how a WDH with chains works but I understand how they work with trunnion bars. I have one with trunnion bars and it took me a few tries to get everything set up properly. You really need to get parked somewhere flat and use a tape measure. The trick is to get the ball set at the right height to tow the trailer after having the weight push to the front axle. Also measure to a point on the fenders before and after and shoot for less than 1/2 inch difference between hooked up and not.