Clogged catalytic converter right side converter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Federal standard (or EPA) cats are cheaper than the California CARB compliant cats. You can price out a FS and save some if you decide to reinstall. The FS are legal in 49 states. Technically in NY if the car came with CARB, you must replace it with CARB to pass inspection.

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Non-foulers are the way to go! You wont have any issues passing visual inspection and no CEL.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Non-foulers are the way to go! You wont have any issues passing visual inspection and no CEL.
Non-foulers are for po420/po430 codes, with converters working at 96% or less. This guy has no converters and it may not work.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Non-foulers are for po420/po430 codes, with converters working at 96% or less. This guy has no converters and it may not work.
They worked on my old Nissan running no cats.

What's nice is that they're cheap enough to experiment with.

Dan G

Reaction score
For what its worth, I just had my right side catalytic converter replaced and I was absolutely shocked to see that my gas mileage improved by 2+ mpg.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what its worth, I just had my right side catalytic converter replaced and I was absolutely shocked to see that my gas mileage improved by 2+ mpg.
What symptoms were you experiencing to prompt the replacement? At 17x,000 miles I'm about due for a replacement exhaust and was wondering if it'd be worth it to do the cats at the same time.

Labor cost is a non-issue as I'll be doing the work myself so it's just the cost of parts. I'm hoping to keep the truck to 300k miles so I figure it might be the right time if it's something that'll be needed eventually anyway.

Dan G

Reaction score
The check engine light would come on, after a long road trip the light would go off. When the light came back on I pulled the codes and via an internet search people were saying the right side cat was bad. I kept ignoring the issue. But when I had my truck in to my mechanic for other stuff he confirmed the cat was bad and fixed it.

Captain Kirk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The check engine light would come on, after a long road trip the light would go off. When the light came back on I pulled the codes and via an internet search people were saying the right side cat was bad. I kept ignoring the issue. But when I had my truck in to my mechanic for other stuff he confirmed the cat was bad and fixed it.

Love the 1987 16v GTI. I miss mine so much! I converted it to the 1992 4 round light grill and had a 50mm intake from Germany. Corrado seats and steering wheel. So many other mods too.... Good memories.