Clunky Shifts maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Hey all, I'll try to keep this brief.

I've got 183k on the truck (2010 expy, 5.4L, EL, 4WD). As of late, and for quite a bit now, the truck has been clunking while in gear. It's not all the time while in motion, however, but its decently consistent. On/off throttle at low speeds is where it's noticeable, and at normal speeds, and highway speeds, getting back on the gas results in a small clunk. At low speeds, as mentioned, like in parking lots, sometimes its a rather large clunk.

In my googling, i watched a video where a ford mechanic described a problem with clunking while shifting into drive, but not into reverse. The issue there was a faulty differential mounting bracket bushing. I noticed after watching the video, that i have those symptoms as well. A clunk while shifting into drive, and no issues into reverse.

Am I on the right track here? Has anyone else had this issue? Please help! It's starting to shake my confidence in keeping this truck around, if I'm worried about having to replace a trans.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Update:

I stuck a gopro under the truck and got some video of the differential bracket moving around. My what I saw lined up EXACTLY with those in the video i watched. So I'm guessing part of my issue is the bracket. I had a mechanic verify that it was bad... So starting there.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
UPDATE:

The diff mounting bracket bushing was the culprit! The truck is buttery smooth now. Renewed my confidence in keeping it around!