Clunky Shifts maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Hey all, I'll try to keep this brief.

I've got 183k on the truck (2010 expy, 5.4L, EL, 4WD). As of late, and for quite a bit now, the truck has been clunking while in gear. It's not all the time while in motion, however, but its decently consistent. On/off throttle at low speeds is where it's noticeable, and at normal speeds, and highway speeds, getting back on the gas results in a small clunk. At low speeds, as mentioned, like in parking lots, sometimes its a rather large clunk.

In my googling, i watched a video where a ford mechanic described a problem with clunking while shifting into drive, but not into reverse. The issue there was a faulty differential mounting bracket bushing. I noticed after watching the video, that i have those symptoms as well. A clunk while shifting into drive, and no issues into reverse.

Am I on the right track here? Has anyone else had this issue? Please help! It's starting to shake my confidence in keeping this truck around, if I'm worried about having to replace a trans.

Thanks,

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
Update:

I stuck a gopro under the truck and got some video of the differential bracket moving around. My what I saw lined up EXACTLY with those in the video i watched. So I'm guessing part of my issue is the bracket. I had a mechanic verify that it was bad... So starting there.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Y

yamfanboi827

Reaction score
UPDATE:

The diff mounting bracket bushing was the culprit! The truck is buttery smooth now. Renewed my confidence in keeping it around!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65