coincidence ??? crank no start. Ignition vs. fuel pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rfm77555

Reaction score
Would love any input or advisement.

2007 5.4 Triton never any issues until yesterday mornings crank no start.
Very cold here (as is elsewhere).
Turn of ignition and the key does not return to run from start position without my help.
In other words if I turn to start and take my hand away the engine continues to crank but never starts.
It has never done this before and I feel has to be linked to the crank no start BUT.........
I have previously owned for many years a 99 expy and had to replace twice the fuel pump on it.
Current situation makes me think same problem but the ignition thing has got me scratching my head.
Is there any way to easily get any fuel into the throttle body to see if she will fire ???
I have my son turn the key while listening under the hood and do hear what seems the normal fuel rail charge sound I am familiar with.
Laying under the vehicle with ear against the fuel tank I have my son again key on and nothing.....not a sound.
Not looking forward to dropping the tank to replace pump in the sub freezing conditions.
Am I crazy to suspect this ignition my be my problem ???

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have your owners manual? Locate the fuse for the pump and Check that before you go throwing a new pump at it. I believe fuse locations are around page 290ish in the manual, might start on page 288. Fuses #18 and #62 under the hood are related to the fuel pump.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/2010-f150-5-4-cranks-but-wont-start-290718/

Here is an 07 Manual, I linked it to page 290 with the fuse locations with regards to the power distribution box
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/616196/Ford-Expedition.html?page=290#manual

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could get a can of starting fluid and spray a little into the TB while your son turns the key to the start position If the engine fires up for a short bit I would say you have a fuel pump problem or something electrical for the fuel pump

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rfm77555

Reaction score
I did pull the fuse listed for the fuel pump (#32)....checks ok
The relay for the pump listed (#18)....I swapped it with the like for like at location (#19)....no change
However I did not check fuse #71. What is the fuel coil ISP-R ????
Thanks for the replies
I did also confirm the inertia switch

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You could get a can of starting fluid and spray a little into the TB while your son turns the key to the start position If the engine fires up for a short bit I would say you have a fuel pump problem or something electrical for the fuel pump
Need some of this... But really after you try starting fluid and check those fuses you may want to try getting access the harness to check power before dropping the tank. I dropped a tank once before checking power at the harness only to realize I had a broken wire.

FB_IMG_1514945708563.jpg

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would love any input or advisement.

2007 5.4 Triton never any issues until yesterday mornings crank no start.
Very cold here (as is elsewhere).
Turn of ignition and the key does not return to run from start position without my help.
In other words if I turn to start and take my hand away the engine continues to crank but never starts.
It has never done this before and I feel has to be linked to the crank no start BUT.........
I have previously owned for many years a 99 expy and had to replace twice the fuel pump on it.
Current situation makes me think same problem but the ignition thing has got me scratching my head.
Is there any way to easily get any fuel into the throttle body to see if she will fire ???
I have my son turn the key while listening under the hood and do hear what seems the normal fuel rail charge sound I am familiar with.
Laying under the vehicle with ear against the fuel tank I have my son again key on and nothing.....not a sound.
Not looking forward to dropping the tank to replace pump in the sub freezing conditions.
Am I crazy to suspect this ignition my be my problem ???
\
Whoa...that is exactly what my Mountaineer did over last weekend. Cranks just fine, no start. And the starter stays engaged after taking my hand off the key (ignition returns to "RUN") for several seconds. Had it towed to the dealer....new fuel pump being installed.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Neither my '07 nor '17 Expeditions require the key be held in the start position. Just twist and release and the starter will run until the engine fires. Key springs back to run while the starter is running. I assume this is normal and accommodates an exotic START button on some models.

The only access to the fuel pump requires dropping the tank. PITA. I had a wiring problem with my '07 a couple of winters ago when I was out of town. Momentary open circuit to the fuel pump. Fuel pump just shut off at speed. Five minutes on the shoulder and she'd run again. Did this three or 4 times one evening before I got her to the house and had Ford come and get her in the morning. Frayed wiring somehow.

-- Chuck

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
try swapping the fuel pump relay with another one from the fuse box. They should be the same. if it starts then you have a bad relay