Cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im looking for a CAI for my 98 expy 5.4. I was looking at the K&N and some others. What are you guys running? What about throttle spacers?

sngltrck1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed the AFE unit on my 98 EB. Noticed an immediate "seat of the pants" feel on take-off and 1-2 mpg increase. There is an increase in the sound, however, kinda sounds like sucking thru clenched teeth with a slight whistle at times. Soon I'll add the magnaflow on the other side and see what that does! Like your last 2 toys btw.

Darin

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
I think that although the chromed or stainless kits look cooler, the plastic kits probably operate cooler.
I often look at mine and think that it probably lets more engine heated air in to the system than the stock one did.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have the plastic k&n kit on my expo if u want to run cooler that the way to go like Tony said

Condog09

Reaction score
Cold Air Intakes

My opinion on a cold air intake system wont really benefit your vechicles like you may think. If you have done other mods like a bigger throttle body and a better exhaust system it wont really do a whole lot. You guys may think it is cause it makes a cool sound but in all reality it wont be worth the money to hp ratio. Also most people will take what they already have, which is RAM air like the ones that come through your fender well or actually come from an outside source, and eliminate it and put that cool looking k&n under their hood which will pull in hot air from your engine which wont help at all.

tritonman5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My opinion on a cold air intake system wont really benefit your vechicles like you may think. If you have done other mods like a bigger throttle body and a better exhaust system it wont really do a whole lot. You guys may think it is cause it makes a cool sound but in all reality it wont be worth the money to hp ratio. Also most people will take what they already have, which is RAM air like the ones that come through your fender well or actually come from an outside source, and eliminate it and put that cool looking k&n under their hood which will pull in hot air from your engine which wont help at all.

so if i got that induction cone that is attached to the inner finder it should help draw in cooler air explain how u think the factory intake works better i mean this have been on my mine so hopefully you can clear this up

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jumping in with both feet or my 2 cents worth.

I have always wanted to put in a cai on my expy. I am just not buying the hype yet. My problem is the heat that the tubing absorbs from the engine bay. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat. So I have ruled that out. Plastic is fair but heats up as well. Carbon fiber tubing is cost prohibitive for the most part. And is anyone insulating the tubing?

I have read where people have gone the diy route with steal tubing that they have painted with ceramic paints inside and out. The claim is these remain very cool under operation. I am still on the fence about that method. Is any one method truely providing the engine with cooler air than stock setups or
are customers buying the "cool" look?

It would be great to see a real world comparison of several makes and models of cai's. External engine temps, tubing temps and internal air temps of those tested could be compared. (if anyone has seen a legitimate comparison, please share). Until then I just might try a drop in k&n filter, find a better MAF sensor and replace the muffler with one that has less restricted flow.

Last edited:

OVERK|LL

Reaction score
I can't remember if I found it on this site or another, but basically:

1. Remove the silencer baffle from the large elbow leading to the throttle body
2. Remove the air horn leading into the airbox and replace with 3" PVC pipe

Both pieces of tubing are SMALLER than the throttle body, so they are definitely a restriction.

The intake is somewhat louder with this setup however. As far as price goes, you need about 6" of PVC pipe and a joiner to attach it to the end of the airbox. You are looking at under $10.00 in total.

A pair of good needle nose pliers and some effort is all that is needed to remove the upstream silencer in the elbow.

You get to retain the factory CAI (air from within the fender; great spot to get it from) and piping, whilst reaping the benefits of increased airflow.