Cold Start Rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dan you have no worries.
That video you posted is definitely not a cam phaser rattle.
I’ll post the video of mine prior to it being repaired so people can get a feel for what to listen for.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, my friend just got his f150 back and the noise he has now that he thought was the cam phaser again they say is an exhaust rattle and that it is pretty common. I haven't heard it so I can't make any comments on that. So, it sounds like there is a good chance a similar sound rattle at cold startup is exhaust noise. Not sure if it is a loose heat shield or what it is.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, my friend just got his f150 back and the noise he has now that he thought was the cam phaser again they say is an exhaust rattle and that it is pretty common. I haven't heard it so I can't make any comments on that. So, it sounds like there is a good chance a similar sound rattle at cold startup is exhaust noise. Not sure if it is a loose heat shield or what it is.
I think that's probably the longer duration rattle; the one that goes for about 20-30 seconds after startup. I've had 3 different dealers tell me that longer rattle is an exhaust issue that is normal and always goes away after 20-30 seconds. It is much softer than the very harsh 2-3 second rattle that needs service.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think that's probably the longer duration rattle; the one that goes for about 20-30 seconds after startup. I've had 3 different dealers tell me that longer rattle is an exhaust issue that is normal and always goes away after 20-30 seconds. It is much softer than the very harsh 2-3 second rattle that needs service.

Yeah, apparently, it sounds enough alike that he thought he still had the phaser issue that had been repaired a couple months ago. I do have to say I feel better that he didn't have a phaser issue again after only 6 weeks post repair.

OP
OP
WALoeIII

WALoeIII

Reaction score
Closing the loop on this. Finally had time to take my truck in. I have the wastegate actuator rattle. Annoying but somewhat expected on this generation engine. The cam phaser issue is a much shorter duration and louder rattle. @NukeLife 's post is a prime example.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally. Here is a video explaining the root cause of the rattle. A plastic pin!

Looks similar to the issue the 5.4 3V phasers had. The 5.4 uses a metal locking pin but it was a similar problem, excessive clearance around the lock pin would make it knock when locked at a hot idle.

Last edited:

Vipersinu2

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Oh thats sounds ruff, I hear the cam phasers and the turbo wastegate rattling.

Did you get that fixed?